Monitor blacks out for 2-3 seconds randomly sometimes not at all

Daniel Corrado

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
So my monitor which is an Acer Predator XB1 27" using a DisplayPort to get 144HZ. I randomly get black screens that last 2-3 seconds then goes back to normal. Happens in games / watching videos, pretty much anything, sometimes it wont happen at all.

My computer specs are

Acer Predator 27'' G-Sync Monitor 1ms x2 /
■ Asus 1080 Strix Aura /
■ Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 3000MhZ /
■ Intel Core i7 8700K /
■ Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming /
■ 500gb Samsung Evo /
■ 250GB Samsung EVO /
■ 1TB /
■ H100i V2 AIO /
■ EVGA 850W Supernova /

The motherboard and CPU are brand new, literally two weeks old.

Monitor is probably 6-8 month old. But I doubt its the monitor Any Ideas?

Solution
a power outlet isn't the same as battery backup unit a.k.a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
but before that, you have to make sure it's because of unstable power supply to the monitor.
try using your monitor at different place(office or anywhere with a bit distance or stable electricity) or borrow UPS and see if the problem persist. if it does, then you have faulty monitor.
does it still black out if the source isn't from your PC? like maybe use it with another media player.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Just a thought I had a computer that did that before and it happend to be that nothing was wrong with the computer / monitors. The power to the socket was not 100% stable because a printer and some other stuff was on the same circut. I fixed it by adding a good battery backup unit that controlled the voltage. It stopped happening after adding that. I am not saying that is your issue but it couldn't hut to see what else was on the same circuit as your computer. I coudn't move the printer at the time (it was a laser printer) so just had to deal with it by adding the UPS to correct the voltage difference.

bigsmilingbear

Honorable
Mar 7, 2018
a power outlet isn't the same as battery backup unit a.k.a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
but before that, you have to make sure it's because of unstable power supply to the monitor.
try using your monitor at different place(office or anywhere with a bit distance or stable electricity) or borrow UPS and see if the problem persist. if it does, then you have faulty monitor.
does it still black out if the source isn't from your PC? like maybe use it with another media player.

Solution