Question Monitor blacks out, gpu fans full speed.

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hello, during games, just on desktop, or in browser my monitor will blackout / lose signal and gpu fan goes 100%.
Today i got this light blue screen that i've never seen before. gpu fan didn't go full blast like usual, i tried resetting video driver with win+ctrl+shift+b then it finally froze, & i restarted.

i've already gone back to an nvidia driver from march, and updated bios (but went back to old one), and last night i uninstalled my windows 21h1 installation to hopefully get out of the new functioning DWM- desktop windows manager, because i've seen dwm in event viewer under critical error.
i just rebuilt this computer in january, and it worked fine until like May (the release of 21h1 by the way).

i have an old 2009, but high quality XFX 650w 80 bronze PSU (made by Seasonic), i don't see it being the problem my voltages seem all stable.
but someone in a thread suggested you need a gold PSU for the MSI armor oc gtx 1070 i have, i noticed it's core speed hits 1900mhz, even though the specs for it say 1700 some mhz. i bought it used on ebay, seller didn't mention if they messed with anything or if it's supposed to do that ?..

help would be very appreciated! (specs in signature).

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY