[SOLVED] Monitor blank, motherboard has no onboard video.

Nov 23, 2018
Hello,

I recently did a shut down and was dusting my computer, unplugged and replugged in components. After ensuring everything is plugged in and that there isn't any loose components I get a blank screen from three different screens and three different HDMI cables. Even the DVI isn't working. GPU has power going to it, the CPU Cooler fan power is going through, as does the hard drive, case fan, and the DVD Drive. At the very least they are showing signs of power. I've even taken a GPU from another computer and plugged it into the system (it is working perfectly fine and continued to work when placed back into the previous computer) and as a result I don't know what is causing this problem to occur.

Power cables are plugged in all the way, and I've check over all cable plugged in by unplugging and re-plugging in half a dozen times already.

I don't have any onboard video for the motherboard, so I can't even check to see if it is a driver issue. Or going into the BIOS directly.

I had installed a windows update a day before this failure, yet it was fine with no hiccups or issues that I was aware of.

I have windows 8.1 installed, I don't know what the latest update number is at this time and the GPU driver was the most up to date one through Radeon (which looks to be 17.7.1). This updated automatically.

I've tried to see if I get any power from say charging a phone via usb and the phone doesn't recognize the computer to start a charge. Be it in the front or the back. Keyboard isn't being recognized, yet the wired mouse will have very quick flashing light. Wireless mouse flashes the light for a second and stops, which shows that power is going through the front and back usb ports.

I'm hearing no beeping, just fans whirring. Though very quietly.

I'm already in the works of another computer build that is in process, yet would still like to have this computer operational before I have the new build finished.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO 4 CFM Ball Bearing CPU CoolerASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
RAM: Kingston Predator Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower
Power: EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Solution
Ok, try putting the card back in the original machine and then try the following.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable...
Compressed air cans if used incorrectly might spray condensed humidity. I am not saying that it's the problem but it might have something to do with it.

You should try your GPU in another PC and see if it boots. If yes then the problem is located in your PSU most probably. If not, then RMA it if it's still under warranty.

Nov 23, 2018
Tried my GPU in anther computer. System boots, it just doesn't have visual. Which leads me to believe that the GPU is a major problem. However it doesn't explain how using the GPU in another computer was unable to work with the current system.

May have to just take it into a repair shop. Or Salvage what I can and use the case for another build in the future.

If the graphics card from another system works in your system, then your system is fine. If your graphics card does not work in your system AND it does not work in another system, then there is a problem with the graphics card and it should be replaced. Consider, that graphics card is somewhere around 7 years old. If it's seen constant use over those years, and maybe even if it hasn't, then it is not too surprising that it is giving up the ghost. My advice, save the money it would cost to go to a service or shop for repair and put that money towards a new card.

Nov 23, 2018
Ok, so here is something strange.

I put together my new computer, minus the new GPU. As it hasn't shown up yet and won't until Monday.

I have an integrated HMDI connection with this motherboard which wasn't being picked up by my current monitor (will upgrade from that too). Yet I put in this GPU from my old build and it works! Initially it would say Inactive, and then Active!

So what is going on exactly? I'm deeply confused on this matter now.

Ok, try putting the card back in the original machine and then try the following.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

Solution