Monitor Blinks when turning lights off

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javacookies

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi,

I'm really curious. This is not too life breaking :D. Since I replaced my VGA cable with DVI, my monitor always blinks for about 1 second whenever I turn off a particular light. There are two lights near my PC but only the one in our living room triggers the blinking. So what's up with that? I'm also worried that it could be a serious matter. Thanks.

Solution

Can't tell from that picture but it definitely is how I fixed my blinking monitor problem caused by interference from circular fluorescent lights switching on or off. Also running extension lead for monitor to another power point across the room fixed it too but that was not a long term solution.

I've since had a closer...

Buppy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Can't tell from that picture but it definitely is how I fixed my blinking monitor problem caused by interference from circular fluorescent lights switching on or off. Also running extension lead for monitor to another power point across the room fixed it too but that was not a long term solution.

I've since had a closer look at the problem HDMI cable and have found that ALL of the shield wire pins were EMPTY! So a very cheap and nasty cable indeed. It also did not have both the cable end shells connected to each other like the working cable. Shows it is all about poor shielding making the cable susceptible to interference. So try another cable or at least grab a multimeter and check your cable isn't cheap and nasty like mine was ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.