Monitor can affect FPS in games?

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hey guys, I have an i7-4790 and a GTX 1070, however I got a really old samsumg monitor (59-60hz) and sometimes when playing games such as Black Desert on max graphics, I keep getting fps drops or some stuttering as soon as I enter a town full of people. I don't think I should be having any problems fps wise with my CPU and GPU. What are your thoughts on this? Can my monitor be screwing me over like this?

Reactions: johnx3216

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The monitor itself? Not really. The only way it affects your framerate is its native resolution which the game is matched to.

Use a program like MSI Afterburner so you can visualise the usage of the CPU and GPU whilst playing. If one is near 100% whilst you experience those FPS issues, it is considered bottlenecking.

Victor443

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Well, sometimes my GPU usage is pretty high (while my CPU usage is at around 30%-ish), but I thought that having high GPU usage was a good thing. I'm not sure if the usage is high during the fps stutters, but I mostly play with 50-60 fps and the usage is usually around 60-95% depending on what's going on ingame.

Reactions: johnx3216
Jun 12, 2020
Sometimes, Old Monitor can also cause huge drop in fps while playing games. Upgrade Your monitor to 144hz and make sure that the cable you are using to connect is from good quality.
Here is the reason for which you are getting too much framedrops.