Question Monitor Causing Flashing/Flickering of In-Game Textures

Feb 11, 2020
Hi all!

So, I recently bought a 32" curved Samsung 1440p 144HZ gaming monitor. I mainly play WoW, but I also develop on this PC. I noticed that it was causing horrible texture flickering/flashing, so I returned it and got one that boasted a bunch of motion blur reductions and FreeSync. This had exactly the same issue, this one being the Asus VG32VQ, exactly the same specs as the Samsung, but with the afformentioned FreeSync and some other bells and whistles. I've tried every setting under the sun, syncs on and off, different resolutions, refresh rates, brightness, contrast, colour settings, in-game settings, drivers to absolutely no avail. I've tried with HDMI cables, DP cables, I've tried plugging the monitor into two different machines and the problem persists. My machine is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, RTX 2070 Super and 16GB of RAM. Don't think there's any issues there. I have a 1080p 60HZ monitor as a secondary and I don't see any of these issues on it. If I record video using screen capture software, I still see it, but if I move the footage over to the other monitor, it disappears, and reappears when I move it back to this one. The only way I can show it, is via a recording of the screen with my phone, which you'll find a link to below. I do experience to a lesser degree in other games, and this area/game does seem to be the worst.

YouTube Clip:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI6Nm4_-I7U

Its hard to see via a phone recording, but the floor textures are quite visibly flashing whenever the camera has to move, almost changing colours. Its incredibly disorienting and makes playing impossible. Does anyone even know what this is? I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if its the fact that its a VA panel or maybe the resolution or the refresh rate. Although my friend has a 1080p 144HZ and says he doesn't experience this at all. I'm really just looking for some answers at this point, as I've exhausted all options. Should I chop it in for a flat TN/IPS panel?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020
Did you manage to get a fix to this? I have the same problem

Unfortunately not, nor have I even had the courtesy of anyone accross multiple different forums even express concern or an inkling.

From what I've gathered (and this only a guess, don't take it as gospel), VA panels just aren't fit for gaming, specifically ones used for curved panels. They do sport a lower response time, but in most articles and the manufacturers themselves say it shouldn't be an issue, but the only common denominator in all testing I've done is the panel type.

Just don't get a curved VA panel for gaming. Go for a TN or even better, an IPS.

Mar 30, 2020
Unfortunately not, nor have I even had the courtesy of anyone accross multiple different forums even express concern or an inkling.

From what I've gathered (and this only a guess, don't take it as gospel), VA panels just aren't fit for gaming, specifically ones used for curved panels. They do sport a lower response time, but in most articles and the manufacturers themselves say it shouldn't be an issue, but the only common denominator in all testing I've done is the panel type.

Just don't get a curved VA panel for gaming. Go for a TN or even better, an IPS.
So I think i've fixed my problem, my monitor is supposed to be fine with g sync but i disabled that and the flickering has stopped

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts