Question Monitor Changes resolution while gaming....

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
this has been going on for a while now with my Gigabyte M28U 28'' 144hz 3840 x 2160 gaming monitor. what it will do is in the middle of gaming, the screen will go black (for about 5 seconds) and then it changes resolution to 2560 x 1600. the native resolution obviously is 2160p (4k). itll affect my gameplay especially while playing competitive fps games. so ill have to go into settings and change the resolution back to normal. and the monitor will do this all the time and i have no idea why. itll do it to me while playing on my ps5 but the resolution doesnt change but the screen goes black, then itll show me 3840 x 2160p on the screen. i have done everything possible as far as going into nvidia controls etc... i had an pc issue before where id get blue screen errors all the time. and at the time i was trying to make my C Drive a 500gb instead of a 120gb SSD 2.5'' but i somehow messed everything up and i was stuck in my bios screen and couldn't go to my desktop so i had to start my pc from scratch with NEW EVERYTHING. so i thought that maybe fixed my monitor issue but it did not. it did fix all other issues ive had. sorry bout the rant. but i am unsure what to do. the Gigabyte monitor is a Freesync monitor with an IPS panel 1 ms response time also. i do have an Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti so there should be no reasons why i cant play on 4k.. i feel i should sell this monitor and go for a Gsync monitor instead, i don't know if i should go back to 1440P or stick with 2160P for gaming but i absolutely love the 4K experience.

this has been going on for a while now with my Gigabyte M28U 28'' 144hz 3840 x 2160 gaming monitor. what it will do is in the middle of gaming, the screen will go black (for about 5 seconds) and then it changes resolution to 2560 x 1600. the native resolution obviously is 2160p (4k). itll affect my gameplay especially while playing competitive fps games. so ill have to go into settings and change the resolution back to normal. and the monitor will do this all the time and i have no idea why. itll do it to me while playing on my ps5 but the resolution doesnt change but the screen goes black, then itll show me 3840 x 2160p on the screen. i have done everything possible as far as going into nvidia controls etc... i had an pc issue before where id get blue screen errors all the time. and at the time i was trying to make my C Drive a 500gb instead of a 120gb SSD 2.5'' but i somehow messed everything up and i was stuck in my bios screen and couldn't go to my desktop so i had to start my pc from scratch with NEW EVERYTHING. so i thought that maybe fixed my monitor issue but it did not. it did fix all other issues ive had. sorry bout the rant. but i am unsure what to do. the Gigabyte monitor is a Freesync monitor with an IPS panel 1 ms response time also. i do have an Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti so there should be no reasons why i cant play on 4k.. i feel i should sell this monitor and go for a Gsync monitor instead, i don't know if i should go back to 1440P or stick with 2160P for gaming but i absolutely love the 4K experience.
Sounds like the monitor is the issue not the PC or console, generally you would only have the probably with one system if it's the system it would carry over to another thing.... So if both your playstation and PC have the same problem on the monitor the problems most likely a connection issue in the monitor itself with the display/HDMI ports that connect the systems....

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Sounds like the monitor is the issue not the PC or console, generally you would only have the probably with one system if it's the system it would carry over to another thing.... So if both your playstation and PC have the same problem on the monitor the problems most likely a connection issue in the monitor itself with the display/HDMI ports that connect the systems....
Makes sense, ill see if i have a hdmi cable that came with the monitor but I don’t believe so. Bcz i am using the display port cable it came with. So you think im ok with getting another 4k monitor? Definitely a gsync or?

Makes sense, ill see if i have a hdmi cable that came with the monitor but I don’t believe so. Bcz i am using the display port cable it came with. So you think im ok with getting another 4k monitor? Definitely a gsync or?
I would "assume" getting a new monitor would fix the issue. Seeing as like I was saying earlier if it was a system thing only one system would have the problem but seeing as two system have the issue it most likely is the monitor.... It maybe a low quality display cable though if your using a cheap one or the one provided with the monitor I can't tell you how many people and time I alone had issues with low quality cable that it made everything seem like crap or cut in and out like your saying.

I would "assume" getting a new monitor would fix the issue. Seeing as like I was saying earlier if it was a system thing only one system would have the problem but seeing as two system have the issue it most likely is the monitor.... It maybe a low quality display cable though if your using a cheap one or the one provided with the monitor I can't tell you how many people and time I alone had issues with low quality cable that it made everything seem like crap or cut in and out like your saying.
These are my top favorite right now I have them for all my device even HDMI versions. I love them
https://a.co/d/fkjy1sq

Haven't had a single problem with picture "due to cables" since these.

However any vesa certified cable really should do the trick

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Yea I totally get that. But this cable came with it brand new and everything. But i did just order me a new monitor its the Samsung G7 Odyssey 28” 4k ips panel 144hz

Yea I totally get that. But this cable came with it brand new and everything. But i did just order me a new monitor its the Samsung G7 Odyssey 28” 4k ips panel 144hz
That's a nice one but I still recommend ordering a vesa certified cable again the cables they sell with the monitors are a generic no one cares it gives display cable not rated for the actual display settings the monitors can handle