[SOLVED] Monitor Compatibility

Jul 8, 2021
Hi,

I'm not really too savvy with electronics. However, I do want a really nice ultra wide monitor. My concern is if my laptop will take more CPU to run the monitor. I know it will take more CPU, but it's just I want to know how drastic it will be.

I have a 2020 13" Macbook Pro

The monitor I want to run is a 3840 x 1080p Monitor that has a 144hz. I am aware through some research that the max my laptop will output is 60hz, which I am okay with.

In my research, I found that the more pixels = more CPU usage.

I also do not do any gaming on my MacBook (who would lol). Just some music production and light netflixing. (I know this monitor is excessive for this but I just want to see if it's possible.)

Will the CPU usage increase be drastic?

Solution
the increase in CPU usage would totally depend on what you were doing.
while it may take a bit more processing power to run a static image at a much higher resolution,
unless you are also running heavy CPU dependent tasks it shouldn't affect the CPU usage drastically at all.

32:9(3840x1080) is usually considered super ultra-wide.
21:9(2560x1080) is what most consider as just ultra-wide.
the increase in CPU usage would totally depend on what you were doing.
while it may take a bit more processing power to run a static image at a much higher resolution,
unless you are also running heavy CPU dependent tasks it shouldn't affect the CPU usage drastically at all.

32:9(3840x1080) is usually considered super ultra-wide.
21:9(2560x1080) is what most consider as just ultra-wide.

Solution