[SOLVED] Monitor connected to laptop doesn't turn on after restart until I unplug and plug in the HDMI

jzeldis1

Reputable
Oct 14, 2017
We recently bought my daughter a laptop for remote learning. We also got her a monitor, a Samsung - G55T Series LC27G55TQWNXZA 27" Class Curved VA Gaming HDR Monitor (144 Hz). The problem is that the only way to get the monitor to be recognized by the laptop is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. I have tried updating all of the drivers, including the NVIDIA drivers, playing with sleep settings, swapping HDMI cables (one was provided), etc. and nothing seems to work except the disconnect and connect of HDMI. It isn't the end of the world, but I don't want my daughter to have to do this every time she wants to use the computer.

Can anyone help?

The specs of the laptop are as follows:

• Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Sound: Audio by B&O with dual speakers
  • Wireless: Realtek 802.11b/g/n/ac(2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

Solution
We recently bought my daughter a laptop for remote learning. We also got her a monitor, a Samsung - G55T Series LC27G55TQWNXZA 27" Class Curved VA Gaming HDR Monitor (144 Hz). The problem is that the only way to get the monitor to be recognized by the laptop is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. I have tried updating all of the drivers, including the NVIDIA drivers, playing with sleep settings, swapping HDMI cables (one was provided), etc. and nothing seems to work except the disconnect and connect of HDMI. It isn't the end of the world, but I don't want my daughter to have to do this every time she wants to use the computer.

Can anyone help?

• Operating system: Windows 10...

jzeldis1

Reputable
Oct 14, 2017
I noticed that if I set the Samsung monitor to 60 Hz (as opposed to its native 144 or 120), that the problem goes away. I'm glad to know that it can work without removing/plugging in HDMI but does anyone know how I can get it to work at 2560 (4k) resolution and 144 Hz? Can the graphics card handle that? Do I need to buy a display port cable? Thanks!

Last edited:

jzeldis1

Reputable
Oct 14, 2017
I read through the cabling (HDMI vs DP vs DVI) article and ordered a display port cable. I will report back whether I'm able to get 4k @ 144 Hz. I also currently have HDR set to off, so maybe the display port cable will help with that too. Still looking for input if anyone can provide guidance. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2021

Can anyone help?

• Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Sound: Audio by B&O with dual speakers
  • Wireless: Realtek 802.11b/g/n/ac(2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
I had the same issue with my Hp omen/Xiaomi 34. weirdly I've changed the cable for some other reason (add length) and it solved! now when I turn off and turn on it goes to external monitor. If it didn't work or you don't want to change the cable try to choose duplicate monitor with your keyboard. then go on external monitor then you don't need to take the HDMI out. still is a pain in the ass tho.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS