[SOLVED] Monitor connection keeps powering off and won't come back on until I reboot my PC

• Thread starter Deleted member 2926377
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2926377

I built my PC just under a month ago and it has been running fine up until a few days ago when my monitor started to randomly disconnect. This only ever seems to occur when I'm gaming for some reason. Whenever this happens, my motherboard still lights up, all of my fans continue to light up and run, my CPU cooler is still lit up and running and my graphics card fans continue to spin. My PC appears to still be powered on, but no power is going to my monitor. I can't turn my monitor back on whenever this happens, forcing me to do a hard reboot. After I reboot, everything goes back to normal. My monitor works fine for a little while, and then ends up powering off again when I start playing some games.

My temperatures are fine and all of my cables appear to be connected properly. I've tried reseating my graphics card, RAM, and made sure that all of the cables connected to my graphics card and PSU are connected, but the issue still continues to occur. I also tried undervolting my graphics card.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? White LED lights sometimes start flashing on my GPU so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. The cable going from my graphics card to my monitor is connected properly and I've tried using another monitor and the issue still occurs.

Solution
Your PSU is modular, you should have a second set of PCIe connector/cable. What I mean by daisy chain is this;
4veUOhl1sfxjBFJT1017NzUbQmmNVFmDPDgmpmkFrjI.jpg

illustration # (1, 2 or)3 in the image above, no pigtail/daisychain.

Lutfij

Titan
We could do with knowing what your system's full specs are. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If your PSU has been in service, please mention the age of said unit. BIOS version for your motherboard will also help.

Just an fyi, if the system reboots or has a lock up scenario when taxed, it's usually a thermal or power related issue. Thermal being - overheating, power being - your PSU is not enough for the entire build or is faulty.

D

Deleted member 2926377

We could do with knowing what your system's full specs are. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If your PSU has been in service, please mention the age of said unit. BIOS version for your motherboard will also help.

Just an fyi, if the system reboots or has a lock up scenario when taxed, it's usually a thermal or power related issue. Thermal being - overheating, power being - your PSU is not enough for the entire build or is faulty.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2
Ram: KLEVV BOLT XR 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD/HDD: Crucial P2 500GB SSD (2400MB/s)
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3060 Ti Elite 8GB V2
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w Gold V2 Fully Modular
Chassis: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB
Monitor: AOC Gaming 24G2U 24 Inch 144Hz

My PSU is brand new, bought less than a month ago. I don't believe that my PC is overheating as temps seem to be fine but I could be wrong. 600 watts is recommended for my GPU and my power supply is 750 watts.

D

Deleted member 2926377

The portion above the PCIe connectors? That's an indication that there's not enough power going to the GPU

Yep, it's that portion that keeps on flashing. I assume my monitor is shutting off when I try to play games due to my graphics card not having enough power to post a picture. I've had a look through the video you sent me and can't appear to find how to ensure that enough power is being sent to the GPU via the PCIe connectors. This was the first ever PC I've built so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to troubleshooting and fixing issues.

Lutfij

Titan
We've been stumped about the same sort of issue(when the RTX3000 series first came out) until investigative folks like Steve on Gamers Nexus have done research on the matter. You'll find people on (other and our own)forums(prior to the video made) speak of the same thing. To the point where people are now overwattaging(if there's a word of that kind but you get my point) on PSU's for their builds and rightly so. It's only going to get worse with the RTX4000 series. AMD isn't free of blame, mind you.

This just came to mind, are you working with a daisy chained PCIe connection to the GPU connectors from the PSU?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2926377

This just came to mind, are you working with a daisy chained PCIe connection to the GPU connectors from the PSU?

I've just been thinking about this while I was further looking into the problem. I'm not too familiar with the term daisy chaining but the PCIe cables going into my graphics card has always looked weird to me:

0vsM2UL.jpg

My power supply didn't come with cables that slotted perfectly into these slots which is why there's an extra connector just hanging there:

kzq8y8d.png

I've been planning on getting cable extensions too as most of my wires look an absolute mess right now but I haven't got around to it yet.

D

Deleted member 2926377

Your PSU is modular, you should have a second set of PCIe connector/cable. What I mean by daisy chain is this;
4veUOhl1sfxjBFJT1017NzUbQmmNVFmDPDgmpmkFrjI.jpg

illustration # 3 in the image above, no pigtail/daisychain.

I do have an extra PCIe cable that I didn't use as I assumed it was a spare. By the looks of things, I've been using daisy chain cables which are underspec which is what must have been causing my graphics card to decide when to quit sending a picture to my monitor. The white LEDs flashing above my PCIe cables have been warning me about this and I didn't know why until now. I'm glad you helped me find out about this sooner as I could have potentially killed my GPU if I had let this carry on.