Question Monitor dead display port question

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hello. All of my monitors are connected through DisplayPort connections. A month or so ago, I turned on my computer in the morning and after the Bios splash screen, only 1 of my 3 monitors were working. I starting to panic a bit, but I tried some stuff. I tried DDU and reinstalling 2 different GPU Drivers (3060ti from EVGA), tried checking the connection according to windows 10 and resetting my Bios, nothing worked.

I unplugged my monitors one by one and plugged them back in one by one after that. The 278 worked fine, but the LG and 248 were not. I got suspicious of it all and a little relived when my LG would work in safe mode and after cleaning my gpu drivers out just before reinstalling the driver. Now my LG still was not working after having gpu drivers installed, however I was able to add it manually through my Nvidia Control Panel and it worked just fine. Much to my surprise and relief it wasn't my gpu failing, it turned out to be my oldest monitor creating the problem because no matter what I did while it was connected through DP to DP, it just wouldn't be detected/give a signal. it is interesting because in display settings and device manager, windows 10 could see the monitor, it just wouldn't work.

I have a converter for DVI-d to displayport that I tried on the 248 and it worked, my monitors were all working again like nothing was wrong. I bought a new DP cable thinking it was the issue and the monitor still would not work through a true DP to DP connection. My 248 seemed to have a dead DP port only. I tried all the ports on my GPU and they all worked fine with my other 2 monitors.

My monitors are the following.
Asusvg248QE (this is the one creating problems and it is just over 6 years old)
AsusVE278Q (I think this is the model name, it is the 27 inch version of the 248QE)
LG27GL850 1440p and both Asus are 1080p

I have another 248 monitor that I have also had for about 6 years. It worked just fine DP to DP and now this morning, the same happened again to this monitor as well. I am not upset, just a bit weirded out and thankfully it wasn't as bad as last time where both my LG and my 278 were working.

My questions are-
Is this an abnormal thing to happen?
Is it a known thing that on a monitor, 1 port can just die while the others are fine?
Both my monitors were considerably old, is it really possible both their DP ports just died within a month of a eachother? I haven't used the 248 that died for about maybe 6 months since I got my new gpu and set up my LG monitor. Seems weird that it would only last about a month.
Why was my LG and my 248 not working but my computer was using my other Asus just fine? My LG is 1440p and the other 2 are 1080p, I would think that the PC would be able to use 1440p but get confused about the 1080p connections.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Sometimes you can end up with a dead/faulty port on either the monitor or the GPU(or the motherboard ports). It could also be a driver issue or even a case of a cable being the culprit. What are the specs to your build? Also, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? BIOS version for your motherboard? Age of the PSU in your build?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Sometimes you can end up with a dead/faulty port on either the monitor or the GPU(or the motherboard ports). It could also be a driver issue or even a case of a cable being the culprit. What are the specs to your build? Also, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? BIOS version for your motherboard? Age of the PSU in your build?

asus z390 aorus pro bios f12
3060ti
PSU is corsair rmx 850 gold
windows 10 home

My pc seems to be working just fine, seems to have just been the monitors being the culprit from what I could tell. (and hope) Also forgive me if this is a dumb question. Could bad a bad bios or bad motherboard ports really cause this problem? Just seems weird that they would because the other 2 monitors work just fine.

I forgot to add. Today when this happens, my other 2 monitors came on after about 20 seconds of being black screen, however, my main monitor is the LG one, windows made my 278 the main monitor and reset it to hd 1080p at 60hz. It left the 1440p monitor alone.

the first time this happened about a month ago, my pc did not do that. Last time, the 1440p wouldn’t go on at all with the bad monitor plugged in.

Last edited:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
So, after reading some Reddit posts, I saw multiple people suggest to leave the monitor unplugged for hours and then try it again. I figured why not I’ll try the old one. Now it is working!

I have no idea what this means. Please someone tell me what is going on.