Question Monitor disconnects randomly

Larom

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
Hello all, I've been having a problem with my main monitor randomly disconnecting then instantly reconnecting. It doesn't seem to matter if i'm playing a game or just idling with nothing running. Usually every 20 to 40 minutes. I have my main monitor connected to my Video Card through HDMI and a small second monitor next to it connected through DVI. Only my main monitor is disconnecting which leads me to believe it's not a Video Card problem.

I've also updated my drivers twice, both times used DDU to completely uninstall my old drivers. I've switched my monitor with a friends to see if it was the monitor itself that was the problem, but it was effecting his as well. Changed out HDMI cables too. The last thing I did was dust out my PC (Which hasn't been done in about 3 months). It might just be coincidence, but It feels like it is happening slightly less often now. Could be my imagination.

I thought it might be a Windows 10 update problem, but the last time an update was installed was 10/10, and the problem started occurring yesterday (10/20)

All my components are about 11 months old, except for my PSU which I've had since fall of 2013. Could a failing PSU cause something like this to happen? You'd think there would be a lot more problems if that were the case.

I can't imagine it's a software problem either since I haven't updated anything recently. The last thing I had installed was Sea of Thieves again about 5 days ago.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could throw my way. I really don't want to take it to a shop, but at this rate I might. I don't exactly have backup Motherboards, Video Cars, or PSUs lying around haha...

Edit: Oh all my temps have been great in and out of game. At idle most everything runs between 26c and 32c. With the hottest thing in game being my Video Card running at 62-67c.

Monitor: Asus VG245
Motherboard: ASRock B360 Pro4
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: Intel i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz (4.0 Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series)
RAM: DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
Drive: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD SATA
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Intermittent electrical short perhaps...

What else is plugged into the electrical outlet serving the main monitor?

Try providing power to the main monitor from another electrical source.

Use an extension cord from another room if necessary.

Gently and carefully wiggle the main monitor's power cord from one end to the other. Inspect as you go. Look for bare metal (copper) showing. Look for kinks, cuts, squashed sections, knots, tight twists. Any sort of physical damage.

Carefully inspect the video ports for signs of damage. Metal to metal contact between incoming video cable(s) and video ports on both ends.

Larom

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
Intermittent electrical short perhaps...

What else is plugged into the electrical outlet serving the main monitor?

Try providing power to the main monitor from another electrical source.

Use an extension cord from another room if necessary.

Gently and carefully wiggle the main monitor's power cord from one end to the other. Inspect as you go. Look for bare metal (copper) showing. Look for kinks, cuts, squashed sections, knots, tight twists. Any sort of physical damage.

Carefully inspect the video ports for signs of damage. Metal to metal contact between incoming video cable(s) and video ports on both ends.

The monitor is plugged into the wall by itself, the other plug just has my tower and my speakers which are plugged into a surge protector.

But the monitor isn't turning off or anything, it has continued power, the signal is just being interrupted for a second it seems. When my monitor loses power it will show the ASUS logo upon coming back on, which it hasn't done when I have these disconnection / reconnection things happen.

Oh I've also inspected the HDMI port on my VC, which looks fine. I'm wondering if I should reinstall windows before I do anything else. Oddly enough, there are no errors or warnings in event viewer at the time this happens. If I changed something.. anything at all before this started happening it'd have been a lot easier to diagnose. Maybe it's a ghost causing this :unsure:

EDIT: It SEEMS to not happen as often after I turned Wallpaper Engine off. But again, that could be a coincidence.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS