Monitor display feels too wide

Royvds

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I don't know verry much about monitors and need some help with mine, only thing i know about this monitor that it's a philips one, also, my screen feels way to wide in comparison with the hight, can i change this? why can't i change resolution to 1080p - 1920 in the windows control panel?

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Are you using onboard graphics or a separate graphics card? Check and make sure your drivers are up to date. Usually resolutions are missing when drivers are not installed.

Also, you can see the model of your monitor by looking on the back and there should be a small label with the model information.

oxiide

Distinguished
I can't find much information on that model, but I did find a sketchy-looking source saying its a 23.6" 1080p native display. I'll believe it.

My guess is that your video driver is either missing or not installed correctly. Double-check in Windows Device Manager that your VGA driver is present and accounted for. If so, I'd try a clean uninstall/reinstall of the driver.

Edit: Dumb question, but is your monitor plugged into the video card's display output? Or is it plugged into a motherboard output?

Royvds

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014

It's a brand new pc, i have build it like 6 days ago, i got this monitor from my parents, because they now can have my laptop instead of their (at least) 8 year old pc

so i got their monitor, but i think it already had those settings when they used it, for me it was looking also this way when they were using it

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

If you are plugged into the GPU, the resolution are dependent on both your monitor and GPU capabilities. Both your monitor and gpu are 1080 capable, so you should re-install your GPU drivers manually. Also check if there are any hardware conflicts for your Display Adapter in your Device Manager.

Royvds

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014

I will reinstall the new gpu drivers, i probably won't post the results before tomorrow because it's getting late now and because some internet difficulties (we are already signed in for other internet provider) the download will take at least 40 minutes

Royvds

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I updated the gpu drivers, still theseme resolutions, i can use other resolution in amd catalyst and change the hz
Even tough it doesnt make any diff when i change the res. in amd catalyst