Question Monitor Display Goes Black When Entering Ctrl+Alt+Del Command, Windows 11 PC

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Hey everyone,

As the title states, I get a black screen using the ctrl+alt+del command when trying to access the task manager. More specifically, once I enter the command, the screen briefly shows the menu which allows you to select task manager and then goes black. Some online research suggested that I run my system in safe mode to see if I can access all the files while the drivers are inactive and this is where it gets interesting: I was able to access every file in safe mode however, when I pressed the left mouse button on an empty space on the desktop, the screen would go black. A couple of clicks while randomly moving the mouse around and the screen came back on. Having realized this, I ran my system normally (not in safe mode) and attempted the ctr+alt+del command again. Once the screen went black, I blindly selected an option on the screen that shows task manager, hit enter, and the selected option displayed (task manager, sign out, switch user, etc). I do recall recently updating my system with windows update so there's a possibility an update is causing this issue. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I have already tried reinstalling the display driver and a couple of others but I still have this issue. Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ruben

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
Which build are you on?

right click start again
choose windows terminal (admin) (if you on latest version of 11, this is called Terminal now)
if it doesn't open as powershell, select the drop down arrow in title bar and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
Which build are you on?

right click start again
choose windows terminal (admin) (if you on latest version of 11, this is called Terminal now)
if it doesn't open as powershell, select the drop down arrow in title bar and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Winver shows my build is: 2621.521. I recently updated to Windows 11 Ver. 22H2 but I already had this issue before the update. I tried both methods you suggested in your previous post but the problem still remains. I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Ruben

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do any errors show in event viewer when you get the black screen?

I was able to access every file in safe mode however, when I pressed the left mouse button on an empty space on the desktop, the screen would go black. A couple of clicks while randomly moving the mouse around and the screen came back on.

what are specs of the PC?
If it happens in safe mode it shouldn't be drivers

Does it only happen if you try to use this method to get task manager? There are easier ways to get to task manager, I have attached it to my taskbar or just press WIn + E key

that still doesn't explain why.

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Do any errors show in event viewer when you get the black screen?

what are specs of the PC?
If it happens in safe mode it shouldn't be drivers

Does it only happen if you try to use this method to get task manager? There are easier ways to get to task manager, I have attached it to my taskbar or just press WIn + E key

that still doesn't explain why.

Actually, using the event viewer is one of the methods I used to find any errors related to my issue but nothing. I've also tried running SFC /scannow and the DISM tool in CMD but no luck.
If it isn't the drivers, can a "bad" windows update potentially be the cause?

Yes, this happens when I press the ctrl+alt+del command on the keyboard. I found ctrl+shift+esc brings up the task manager itself so I'll use it until I fix the issue. I really appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Ruben

PC specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Graphics
Motherboard: Asus Prime X370 Pro
Ram: Samsung 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel x 4 (32Gb)
SSD/HDD: Samsung QVO 870 1TB SSD
GPU: None, using CPU Integrated Graphics
PSU: Enermax Revolution Xt II 650w
Chassis: Enermax Ostrog GT Full ATX Case
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p Monitor (VE248H)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I must have been sleepy, win + E is file explorer.
why not just pin it to taskbar when its open next time.

wonder if latest version of Adrenaline make any difference - https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5-1

Try running memtest86 on your ram stick up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the problem. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
I must have been sleepy, win + E is file explorer.
why not just pin it to taskbar when its open next time.

wonder if latest version of Adrenaline make any difference - https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5-1

Try running memtest86 on your ram stick up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the problem. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I've gone ahead and pinned it to the taskbar until I resolve the issue. I wasn't aware of a newer version of Adrenaline, it shows it just came it out this month. I'm downloading it right now and will install it right away. I'll run memtest86 as well and see what results I get. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks.

Ruben