monitor display issue

Ttwom

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
I put my desktop away for a couple years because of a windows issue and didn't want to reinstall it. So I used my laptop for awhile. When I turned my desktop on the monitor stayed idle. I used HDMI, VGA, and dvi cords as well as multiple monitors with the same result. I thought the issue was the video card so I bought a new one that's compatible and still no luck. I know the power supply is sufficient. Any idea on what it could be? I need a display to install windows again. My motherboard is an Asus m2n-sli.

Ttwom

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
When I turn the power on it acts normally, fans turn on, nothing seems wrong, just the monitor staying idle. Did a lot of tests with cords and different monitors with the same result. I did what you asked and took the cmos battery out and back in and tried, but no luck. Still think it could be the power supply even if the fans and everything turns on normally? Its driving me insane. Thanks for the reply by the way!!

The issue may be a motherboard issue, I have run into many bad motherboards that act like yours, fans go on, but nothing past that.

If you have an add-on video card, remove it and try with on-board video only.

It may still be a power supply issue, just because the system is getting enough power to start the fans, does not mean that you can rule it out fully without trying known good one, or trying yours in another system.