[SOLVED] Monitor display lights up only after graphic card removal

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Hi all,

I was using my computer with graphics card without any issue since several months. Today suddenly, the monitor failed to light up when the pc was switched on. However when I removed the graphics card, the monitor is displaying. When I insert the graphics card, it does not lit up and even the bios screen is not visible. What could be the reason? Has the graphics card gone bad?

Reactions: daylaurie0

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
I have a secondary system but that is 12 years old and is pentium 4, the PSU is only 250W-300W and i might not be sufficient for the graphics card to be tested. Besides what is the assumption to be made if it works in another system?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Even though the monitor does not light up when the graphics card is plugged in, I am able to remote desktop to it from the secondary old system. I was able to install and unistall the drivers. CPU-Z tool detecs the graphics card.
From the graphics card, I used a hdmi to vga adapter to connect to my monitor. Would that have gone bad as I am able to remote desktop to my pc?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
I have GT1030 - which has DVI-I port and hdmi port. The adapter that I am using is https://www.amazon.in/Terabyte-HDMI...1&keywords=hdmi+to+vga&qid=1600776962&sr=8-13

I am itching to buy another hdmi to vga adapter but can there be a possibility that the hdmi output of the graphics card is not working? How do I check what the actual issue is because I am able to remote desktop to it with my graphics card. Should I just try to replace the adapter?

I am itching to buy another hdmi to vga adapter but can there be a possibility that the hdmi output of the graphics card is not working?
You can also try active DVI to VGA adapter.
Another possibility - your monitor has failed.

ACJF_1_201704111912852840.jpg

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
I don't think that my monitor has failed . Because when I connect to my inbuilt motherboard graphics which has VGA, I can see the display on the monitor.
This rules out monitor issue I believe. As I am able to remote desktop to my system which has graphics card, it does rule out graphic card issue hopefully.
I took the vga adapter and plugged it into another video player in the hdmi and connected the output to the monitor using the vga end. What i noticed is that although the monitor lights up and displays the players menu, it is not stable, ie. after few seconds it goes off and then comes back and keeps doing the same thing. This has left me confused, so is it really the adapter isssue?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Well it looks like the GPU fault. My system had a direct hdmi output which I had forgotten. After I connect the hdmi to vga adaptor to the hdmi output on the system (not the graphics card), the monitor lights up. This rules out monitor problem, vga cable problem and adaptor problem. GPU is indeed faulty even though I can remote desktop into it.