Question Monitor Display not good in game

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
I own a gaming laptop and have a new external monitor connected, the laptop screen is 144hz and the monitor is 165hz.

When I run a game, for example fortnite, my game display/fps/smoothness is not that good and gets kinda choppy/low frames. But when I don’t connect my monitor and use my laptop display my game always feels so much better and smoother and better frames.

Is there a way I can fix my monitor or change settings to make it as good as my laptops display? If anything my monitor should be performing better than my laptops screen to be honest.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If given that laptop hardware is specced exactly and fine tuned to the 144 Hz screen it comes with, without any performance overhead (to keep costs down), then when you install better monitor to it, which requires more performance of your hardware, but which can't deliver it (no overhead), you have a result of choppy image.

On an analogy example: if you feed proper level of volume to speakers, sound is nice and pure. But if you crank the volume too high, more what speakers can provide, you'll hear cracking/distorted audio.

To fix the choppy image, either lower game graphical settings (so that laptop GPU doesn't have to work that hard), cap the FPS or get better GPU (which means buy new laptop).

So your laptop can support DP (alt mode) with one if it's Type C connectors. This will allow you to use the monitor with G-sync. Should work perfectly.

You need a cable like this:

USB C to DisplayPort Cable, BENFEI 4K@60Hz 1.8M Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to DP Display Port Adapter Male to Male Gold-Plated Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Will make the game super smooth at frequencies from 48-hz to 165hz.

Edit. Once you connect the laptop to the monitor with C/DP, the G-sync option should then appear in the Nvidia Control panel. Simply click the option, and away you go.

I'm presuming of course you are using HDMI?

Last edited:
If given that laptop hardware is specced exactly and fine tuned to the 144 Hz screen it comes with, without any performance overhead (to keep costs down), then when you install better monitor to it, which requires more performance of your hardware, but which can't deliver it (no overhead), you have a result of choppy image.

Although the screen in size is bigger, they are both FHD panels, with same pixel density. In this case, there should be no degradation in performance. It's not a bump in resolution, only in monitor size. There might be a difference in colour coverage, or viewing angle, but most everything else would remain the same performance wise.

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
So your laptop can support DP (alt mode) with one if it's Type C connectors. This will allow you to use the monitor with G-sync. Should work perfectly.

You need a cable like this:

USB C to DisplayPort Cable, BENFEI 4K@60Hz 1.8M Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to DP Display Port Adapter Male to Male Gold-Plated Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Will make the game super smooth at frequencies from 48-hz to 165hz.

Edit. Once you connect the laptop to the monitor with C/DP, the G-sync option should then appear in the Nvidia Control panel. Simply click the option, and away you go.

I'm presuming of course you are using HDMI?
Thank you. Yes I currently use an HDMI cable. So that’s all I need to do, get the new cable and it should feel better?

Yes, this is how it should work.

Because the connector is type C to DP, there may be some option you have to toggle. But you will know striaght away when it works. G-sync will be in the options.

G-sync and Freesync make gaming smooth, so when the FPS dip, it doesn't 'feel' bad. G-sync basically syncs the output FPS of your GPU, and matches it perfectly to the monitors refresh rate, which means really smooth :)

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Although the screen in size is bigger, they are both FHD panels, with same pixel density. In this case, there should be no degradation in performance. It's not a bump in resolution, only in monitor size. There might be a difference in colour coverage, or viewing angle, but most everything else would remain the same performance wise.
Ya exactly and that’s why it’s frustrating the difference I see on performance.

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Yes, this is how it should work.

Because the connector is type C to DP, there may be some option you have to toggle. But you will know striaght away when it works. G-sync will be in the options.

G-sync and Freesync make gaming smooth, so when the FPS dip, it doesn't 'feel' bad. G-sync basically syncs the output FPS of your GPU, and matches it perfectly to the monitors refresh rate, which means really smooth :)
Awesome, thank you so much. And do you suggest I get a 4K @ 60hz cable or a 4K @ 144hz cable

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
You're very welcome.

In this case it shouldn't matter. DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at 60 Hz or 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) at 120 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB color and HDR, so will most certainly do 1080p 165 on either cable.
so one that says 4k at 60hz and 2k at 144hz vs one that says 8k at 60hz and 4k at 144hz it won't make a difference which one I get?

Feb 16, 2023
Choose Start > Settings > System > Display from the menu. Select a choice from the drop-down box next to Scale to alter the size of your text and applications. Use the drop-down option next to Display resolution to alter your screen resolution.