Monitor display split down the middle.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hi, there. I was in the middle of a Left 4 dead 2 online game when my screen did this?

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
OK, I just restarted and the problem seems to have gone away. But I would still like to know what happened if anyone has any ideas?

(System is in my signature)

what do you mean your screen split down the middle?

do you mean instead of running in fullscreen mode like this |[ g ]| your monitor had the window pushed off to the side like this |[g][ ]| with your desktop or something else on the other side? if so maybe you activated the windows 7 window-lock function.

it doesnt sound like a hardware problem. most likely either settings got changed or you're having a software issue.

with only vague information there isnt much we can tell you besides a few things to check. go through every check you can think of and list your findings. the more information you have the better your chances are that someone here can help you.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
copy the link from the first post into your address bar, that shows what I mean. As I said it reverted back to normal when I restarted so no big issue and sound I had to turn my drivers off and on again, now working. Not sure what it was and I don't really see hat more information I could give you?

oh, i see the picture placeholder now. cant access it from this location due to where its hosted. dont worry about it.

could have been just a system glitch. i've had stranger things happen.

i would only worry about it if it happens again. if it starts happening more and more it could be an issue but until then there isnt much we can do besides go through a whole lineup of tests/restores which probably arent required at this point in time.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Yeah, thanks. That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious as I only got my new GPU yesterday!
Thankyou.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Played Left 4 Dead 2 for a couple of hours after this and it as e, just started a game a few minutes ago and the same thing happened again. I'm thinking unstable drivers or even a faulty card? I only got my new 6870 yesterday and had never had this problem before...

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
any game i have tried to run since the same has happened almost immediately so i'm thinking it must be the new gpu. Damn.

well since you are having issues then yeah i tend to agree

either the card (less likely) or the drivers (more likely).

try getting the latest stable drivers from the internet and seeing if they work.

remember to do a check just to make sure that its your card though. going back to your original hardware state and checking to see if you have issues still would be wise.