Monitor display stays black/is not detected after waking up from sleep mode

necyht

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
So this problem with my pc only began today, but for some reason my monitors display is completely black (or not even detected) after waking up from sleep mode. The computers power light is not blinking and is solid, so i can tell that it's not still sleeping, but the monitors light remains orange instead of blue. The monitors menus and such still work so i doubt its the monitor that's the problem. I had to unplug and then replug everything for the display to work again, but i decided to put the pc back into sleep mode to test if it was problem (which it was) before i left for school.

Anyways, i wanted to know what the problem is.
Is this an issue with my gpu or motherboard? I haven't had any problems with playing games, so i dont think its thr gpu. But as for the motherboard, im unaware if the bios is fully updated and the front io ports on the board cause the system to crash, Ive just been using the back ports for the past 2 months. I find it odd that even with the motherboard issues, my computer only know starts to act up. Whats thr problem and how should i go about fixing it?

Also, should i change my computers and monitors settings to never go into standby until i get it fixed, would that be damaging to it?

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Sorry to see you didn't get any answers guy. Honestly, I only came across this while experiencing the same issue with my wife's computer. Computer wakes up but monitor just says no. Switching to HDMI from DVI was no help either. Latest drivers etc. This seems to be a problem that has a lot of people banging their heads on desk. Hell, now her PC is waking to just a black screen and a cursor...yeah, awesome. Anyway, wanted to put your mind at ease. Turning off sleep will not hurt your PC in any way. (It will however hurt the electric bill)

Try all the things I have tried of course, update your display drivers, and perhaps try a different cable be it another DVI or VGA or HDMI. If all the fails, then yeah go ahead and just disable sleep. I don't want to do that with hers because she seems to have an aversion to electrical savings and will likely forget to ever turn off her computer. It sucks that Windows seems to have to many problems with sleep. If I come across a solution to our problem I'll make sure to come back and hopefully be better suited to help you solve yours. Good luck!

one_with_shadows

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Well, don't know if you ever actually managed to solve your problem. I had one heck of a DA moment though. A simple Memtest86 pass showed thousands of errors with her memory. It was actually due to a 16hr+ Prime95 stable overclock. Just random weird symptoms like waking up to a black background with cursor, and the monitor not restarting after sleep. All due to following this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition for her overclock.
Core Current Limit: Max
Long Duration Power Limit: Max
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Max
Primary Plane Current Limit: Max
Secondary Plane Current Limit: Max

One of those above settings was causing it. Setting them all to auto fixed the problem. I still managed to keep her cpu voltages in line with what they were with offset and turbo voltage. It also managed to keep her 4.4ghz OC on her 3570k. I don't have the time nor the desire to single out which of those voltage settings was causing the problem, as leaving them on auto seems to do the trick. Beside which, I assume that auto is likely well below setting them to maximum anyway.

Long story short man, grab a copy of Memtest86 and run it from USB/CD. Apparently something as simple as memory errors can cause lots of sleep related issues. Hope this helps.