Monitor display

timave

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I bought a video card from Computer Geeks and tried to use the installation CD that arrived with it. The CD was outdated and I went on the Internet to download a more up-to-date driver. Since then my monitor works fine for awhile but then develops these black, vertical lines that make it unusable. The problem is cleared up when I reboot the computer, for a while, but then reoccurs. Somehow, I have three copies of a 'default monitor' and a fourth driver with my monitor's name, Gateway EV730, that I can find with device manager under hardware. I delete the 'default monitors', but they return later. Can't locate the files under the windows directory.

How can I solve the problem? Please help. I can also be reached at 980-428-3002.

I've sent this message to Computer Geeks, but get no reply. They sent this address, supportgeek@geeks.com with the card.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Download the most recent driver, but dont install it. Boot into safe mode and run a driver cleaner. Reboot. Install the new driver. You may be having conflicts with the original driver you installed off the CD.

timave

Distinguished
May 30, 2009

What is a 'driver cleaner'?