Question Monitor displaying grey/rgb pixels after water spill

Feb 24, 2020
After spilling water and lazily(stupidly) cleaning it, I paid no mind and went to bed. When I turned my monitor back on the next day, it displayed these grey splotches about an inch long and a centimeter wide. From what I gathered a few possible things could have happened: Water has gotten into the bezel and found its way into the display, the liquid inside the display has began leaking out, or water has caused stuck pixels to form.

Since Acer does not cover incidents like this under warranty I'll have to take this into a shop or buy a new one if I don't figure this out. Another thing I've noticed is that the splotch might've shrunk since the previous day, but I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Pics(different backgrounds for brevity):
View: https://imgur.com/a/gRyKZiY

Monitor:
KG241Q

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The first rule about dealing with electronics stuff that got wet is to NOT turn it on before it's completely dried out. But in your case, what's done is done.

I can't tell you what to do but I have a long background in electronics and if this happened to me, this is what I'd do (and have done several times): Open the cover, disassemble the innards as far as is reasonably possible. Then dry whatever is accessible using a rag, brush, Q-tip, etc. and a hair dryer (without overheating any one spot); then I'd leave it out in the sun for hours to days depending on the circumstances. Then, and only then, would I apply power to the device.

Feb 24, 2020
The first rule about dealing with electronics stuff that got wet is to NOT turn it on before it's completely dried out. But in your case, what's done is done.

I can't tell you what to do but I have a long background in electronics and if this happened to me, this is what I'd do (and have done several times): Open the cover, disassemble the innards as far as is reasonably possible. Then dry whatever is accessible using a rag, brush, Q-tip, etc. and a hair dryer (without overheating any one spot); then I'd leave it out in the sun for hours to days depending on the circumstances. Then, and only then, would I apply power to the device.
No, you're completely right. The only reason I didn't take the necessary measures is simple naivety. What I'm going to do now is leave it by itself for a week and possibly open it up; the spot appears to be changing in size so not using it will help. If the spot is still there by then I will go to a shop.