Monitor displays 'Check Signal Cable' following Windows 10 black screen problem

Apr 2, 2018
In January I started experiencing the black screen problem on Windows 10 - my pc would turn on but would only display a black screen with a cursor for 5-10 minutes and then the display would turn on and function normally. I was unable to deal with the issue then as I was about to go overseas for 3 months.

When I returned yesterday and booted the PC the monitor displayed 'check signal cable'. It did eventually come on after a few restarts and once it did the PC functioned perfectly. I installed the latest Windows updates and graphics drivers. However, after shutting it down last night I can no longer get the display to work at all.

I have checked all connections. I have tried connecting a different monitor. I have tried connecting with both HDMI and DVI, both into the GPU and into the motherboard. I removed the GPU and connected to the mobo but still nothing.

I built the PC 2 years ago so all parts, including the monitor, are 2 years old and it has worked almost perfectly up until now.

CPU: i5-6600
GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: ASUS H170 Pro Gaming

Thanks for any help.

I would suggest reseating your memory sticks. Remove the memory sticks one at a time, clean the contacts, blow out the slot, and firmly reinstall the stick. Do the same for the remaining memory sticks. Also make sure that the memory is in the same color coded slots on the motherboard. Then reboot the system.

Also you can do the same process for the graphics card. And make sure that any additional power cables on the GPU are securely connected.

Here are a couple of troubleshooting checklists.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2041564/troubleshoot-boot-display-issue.html

Apr 2, 2018

I've tried reseating the memory sticks, booting with just one stick, and cleared the CMOS, but still nothing.

And I've just noticed that the Boot Device LED is now red.

Check the SATA data and SATA power connectors on your drives (especially the system drive).

You didn't specify a power supply. If the power supply was poor quality unit (like a Corsair CX series), then the power supply may have deteriorated to the point that it barely powers the motherboard.

Do you have another power supply that can installed to test?

Apr 2, 2018
I've checked the SATA connectors and they're all fine.

Yes, it's just a cheap power supply - Corsair CX-600.

Unfortunately I don't have another power supply I can use to test. Is there an easy way to test this? Google is suggesting the paperclip test.

The easy way is to switch it out. You can take the power supply to a PC repair shop and have them test it. The "paperclip test" isn't much of a test. It basically completes a circuit which allows the power supply to turn on. You can do the same thing by turning on the PC.

It isn't easy to test a power supply without the equipment to do so. Why? Because to test the output of the power supply it has to be put under a load at the same time you are measuring the watts.

Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't have any of the right equipment at home to find out what's going on, so I'll take it to a repair shop.

It is likely cheaper to just buy a new power supply.

TRENDING THREADS