[SOLVED] Monitor displays "no signal" but PC turns on

Peterzzzzzz

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Ok, so I will try to be specific as possible:
I just built my first PC 3 days ago, and I had this same "no signal" error that I do now. However, that was because the ram sticks were not properly placed in the DiMM slots, which I resolved. everything had been working fine after that. skip to last night - I shut down my PC, woke up in the morning, pressed the power button and... "No Signal". for the past SIX HOURS I have tried to fix this issue. I have tried about 30 different things all to no avail. I tried reseating the ram again since that what caused the problem last time, and nothing. I tried a different HDMI cable, a different monitor, the mobo output instead of the gpu one, disconnected and reconnected all of the cables, alternated ram placement in DiMM slots, Unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in. The MOBO and GPU video outputs aren't the problem as my monitor recognizes when they are both connected. I suspect its the ram I have installed. Can somebody please help me this is driving me insane

Solution
Was at work, I would get some RAM sticks from a mate if you can and swap them out, see if it works, if not then Ram is not the culprit, funny that the MoBo has no diagnostic light showing if the RAM is faulty. next would be is the GPU getting enough power, maybe the PSU is at fault. Did you change anything in BIOS in the last days?

Your CPU has integrated Graphics on it, try without the dedicated GPU and see if you get a signal from the CPU Vega 8 integrated graphics.

Peterzzzzzz

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
What are your system specs, MoBo, CPU, GPU, PSU etc.... is there a light on your Mobo that is yellow or red which indicate a RAM issue? Are your drivers updated? Did you do a clean Windows installation? Lots of possible areas to find a solution.
Specs:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zYzWDx

I updated my drivers as soon as I originally booted my PC, and yes I did a clean install of Windows. I never actually noticed any lights on my mobo, I'll check now

Was at work, I would get some RAM sticks from a mate if you can and swap them out, see if it works, if not then Ram is not the culprit, funny that the MoBo has no diagnostic light showing if the RAM is faulty. next would be is the GPU getting enough power, maybe the PSU is at fault. Did you change anything in BIOS in the last days?

Your CPU has integrated Graphics on it, try without the dedicated GPU and see if you get a signal from the CPU Vega 8 integrated graphics.

Last edited:
Solution