Monitor doesn't pick up signal from graphics card.

brofessor1

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Hey guys, i'm really stuck on a current issue i'm having on my new built P.C i made. I'm using the current specs :
i5-4690k
asus z-97a
corsair cx600 Power supply
hyper 212 evo aftermarket cooler
Radeon sapphire r9 270x o.c graphics card
My issue is every time i attempt to power my p.c on for the first time i get a red vga light on my asus motherboard and no connection to my monitor to display windows. Everything else seems to work fine,Fans are working on graphics card and system. However i cannot seem to get a connection from my graphics card to my monitor. I've taken steps laid out by other members such as switching PCI slott cards, checking my power supply, changing wires on power supply and still the problem arises. However if i power my pc on and off a few times the monitor picks up a signal and works. This is very weird for me as i don't understand why it is not working on the first try. Also i don't if this helps or not but if i'm required to restart my pc for updates, the computer attempts to restart however i'm back to the issue where the signal to the monitor is lost and i'm stuck back with the red VGA light displaying.

Solution
It could be that it has a defect somewhere most likely the power management components or such????? The next best thing that will fix it is to RMA the card, it's worth the wait most of the time. Or, if you save up a bit, you can sell your current card locally on Craigslist for example and then buy a better GPU. I typically recommend an R9 290 or GTX 970 (Note that this card has HDMI 2.0 vs 1.4 on the 290 if you have an HDMI 2.0 4K tv) as those 2 cards are the best bang for your buck cards that handle Ultra settings at 1080p+ without a hitch and with 4GB of VRAM, those cards will be able to handle 4K+ textures and such for years to come.

You can also try doing a full clean installation of your GPU drivers.

First, download the...

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Make sure you plugged in the PCI-Express power connectors the card requires for power and do so from dedicated PCI-E connectors from the PSU, not those cheapo SATA/Molex to PCI-E adapters as those do not push the correct amps needed for the card and are never a good idea in general to use. Make sure your PSU can even push the Amps needed for the card, MANY people overlook this small but critical piece of information when buying PSU's.

Make sure your CPU is seated correctly, the same with the RAM and if you are not using all the slots on the motherbaord, then make sure your RAM is installed in the correct DIMM slots as you will habe booting issues if the sticks are in the incorrect DIMM slots if you are only using 2 sticks for example and your mobo has 4. They are usually DIMM slot #1 and #3 or some other mobos, #2 and #4.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
You can also try cleaning the graphics card PCI-E connector (gold plated part where it goes into the PCI-E slot) as a fingerprint can be enough to disrupt it, you can simply use cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol to clean it. just make sure you dry the card completely before reinserting it into the slot.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
It could be that it has a defect somewhere most likely the power management components or such????? The next best thing that will fix it is to RMA the card, it's worth the wait most of the time. Or, if you save up a bit, you can sell your current card locally on Craigslist for example and then buy a better GPU. I typically recommend an R9 290 or GTX 970 (Note that this card has HDMI 2.0 vs 1.4 on the 290 if you have an HDMI 2.0 4K tv) as those 2 cards are the best bang for your buck cards that handle Ultra settings at 1080p+ without a hitch and with 4GB of VRAM, those cards will be able to handle 4K+ textures and such for years to come.

You can also try doing a full clean installation of your GPU drivers.

First, download the Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D, it's a great tool to do a clean uninstall of older drivers so that the updated drivers you install next would be fresh and I recommend doing that every time you update your drivers too. This tool is easy to learn and use for newbies ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Second, reboot into Safe Mode, then uninstall your current drivers installed with the tool I posted above.

Third, after you uninstall the driver, reboot into Windows normally and install the latest driver from AMD and you should be good to go.

Your issue could be a software related one too. I would try updating/reinstalling other drivers like the sound card, motherboard chipset and such and maybe that's the fix you need. Give it a try :)

Solution