Question Monitor doesn't show picture and has a sound similar to a coil whine

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hey, so pretty much I've been having this trouble for around half a year now and I just now had time to investigate the cause of it. Anyway I opened up the monitor hoping to see an expanded capacitor which would've been an easy fix, but looking at the pcb nothing seems off.
2rxv436.jpg

bigger res pic here: View: https://imgur.com/a/Jrdfdw0

And this is when I plug it in into electricity

and the sound when I plug hdmi into it

Don't know what to do tbh... monitor is LG FLATRON IPS224V - PN

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
PCB seems intact unless there's something on the other side or under that metal enclosure/casing?

There is a diode sign right on top of LG logo. Solders look a bit darkened. Is that missing (maybe it's on the other side?) or perhaps nothing was there in the first place?

Sound files can't be accessed, "We can’t find that page." error message. Apparently something is down in soundcloud.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
best way I can describe the sound is of a coil whine. and the diode is most likely a light effect. From what i gathered solder was looking pretty good on both sides. I forgot to mention that this problem came out of the blue. So maybe the board is getting old? although the main chip and the cap above the LG logo and the black thing next to it (idr what it's called in english) were pretty warm to the touch, maybe this is a heat related issue?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes maybe the components are getting old. Is that sound a bit like a hissing sound? Anyway a sound from that kind of board might indicate a capacitor ready to blow.

I guess heat can be an issue but you said it started suddenly. Unless the ambient temps have suddenly changed a lot I think it might rather be age-related.

Either way I'd suggest you have it looked at by an LG repair/maintenance/warranty service or a proper technician.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
The warranty period is most likely over and I have no idea where the warranty papers are... although I found the board available on aliexpress and I ordered it. Meanwhile if anyone has any ideas hmu and when the board arrives and that works without problems then mystery solved i guess...