Question Monitor doesn't work when plugged into KVM Switch using DisplayPort to DVI adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2023
I have to Apple Cinema Displays, with each one DVI-D input. Because I need to use two Computers with these Monitors, I bought a KVM Switch. It has one HDMI in and output and one DisplayPort in and output. The Problem is, that only one of the two Screens are working.

Here is how it is set up:

From PC to KVM: 1x DP to HDMI Cable (PC side) -> HDMI Port (KVM); 1x DP to DP Cable -> DP Port (KVM)
From KVM to Displays: 1x DP to DVI-D Single Link Adapter -> DVI inside Apple Display; 1x HDMI to DVI Adapter -> DVI inside Apple Display

But the display wich is plugged into DP to DVI-D Single Link Adapter wont get any signal and so doesn't work.
For testing I plugged in a Diplayport Screen to the problematic port and then everything just works fine.
Also, the displays, when plugged in directly to the Computer, they will work without any issues.

Link to the KVM switch: https://www.amazon.de/Computer-Monitore-Displayport-Umschalter-Unterstützt/dp/B0BW2J3F45/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

BTW. I tested another DVI Monitor. It also does not recieve any signal.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023
Fxsz9pcXoAQfgmp

Here a quick illustration I made in Paint.

May 19, 2023
well, given all the tests you've done, i assumed the adapter is correct since you tried a direct connection which works, so there should be no problem as 'unidirectional', in this case it is possibly the KVM don't have enough power for the DP - DVI chips, that is a thing and it happened on some graphics card like 1050Ti which i know recently, have you ever tried: KVM DP port --> DP to HDDMI adapter --> HDMI to DVI adapter --> DVI monitors?

Jun 3, 2023
well, given all the tests you've done, i assumed the adapter is correct since you tried a direct connection which works, so there should be no problem as 'unidirectional', in this case it is possibly the KVM don't have enough power for the DP - DVI chips, that is a thing and it happened on some graphics card like 1050Ti which i know recently, have you ever tried: KVM DP port --> DP to HDDMI adapter --> HDMI to DVI adapter --> DVI monitors?
Thanks for your reply! I solved the issue a while ago by using an active converter for the displayport side. The reason is that the switch does not support DisplayPort++, so the passive Adapter cannot funktion.

Reactions: scags9876
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS