Question Monitor Driver Installs to D Drive?

Jun 1, 2019
Hello I just purchased a Viewsonic XG2401 gaming monitor and I am attempting to install the drivers for it, so I can use AMD FreeSync, but when I run the installer it automatically installs to the D drive, which is my slow storage hard drive. My OS (and games, and graphics drivers) are on my faster C drive. How do I fix this? Please help! Thanks.

Jun 1, 2019
Hello Phillip, thank you for your help! Yes, that is correct, the program just immediately began installing the driver and then when it finished it gave the error "could not detect monitor." I think this is because it's not installing on the OS drive.

The monitor I purchased has 144hz refresh rate, 5ms response time, with AMD FreeSync. I assume that the drivers facilitate those functions in game, so presumably wouldn't the monitor and computer need to access those drivers during gameplay (especially to run FreeSync)? Since my storage hard drive is slow, wouldn't that affect the speed of the game?

Furthermore, it's the OS that manages the devices connected to my computer, so I think I would prefer if their drivers were installed on the same hard drive.

I've been doing further research on this but so far have found nothing relevant 🙁

"Furthermore, it's the OS that manages the devices connected to my computer, so I think I would prefer if their drivers were installed on the same hard drive."

Yes I can understand that, it's my preference too since drivers are effectively essential components of the OS.

Ralston18

Titan
Curious that there was no option for the installation destination.

Were the original drivers that came with the Viewsonic Monitor on a CD/DVD?

I would look at what else was on the CD/DVD - maybe some .bat or .ini that defaulted the installation location sans any user input.

My suggestion is to uninstall the current drivers, go to Viewsonics website, find, download, reinstall, and reconfigure the XG2401 drivers.

I found the following link that led to a .zip file.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/xg2401-2.html

Under "Downloads" to the right center window, mouse over "Media."

You should get the "What do you want to do" popup window.

Unzip the xg2402.zip file and check the files. You may find some "Readme" installation update or other instructions regarding the target location for the driver files.