Monitor expertise needed for GTX 1070 upgrade please.

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my i5-3570k rig with several components, including a new EVGA GTX 1070 FTW GPU. I'm currently using an older 22" 1080p 60Hz Samsung Syncmaster monitor, and I'm looking to upgrade (for hopefully around the $350-ish range). I mostly play games (BF1, Ark, Witcher, WoT, etc.). I do get a little competitive, but nothing to warrant the additional gsync cost; and I've made my decision that I'd prefer quality (2k IPS 1440p) over quantity (TN 144Hz) --- i.e., I'd prefer pretty over fast.

From my research, it sounds as if wading into the >60 fps pool without gsync on the 1070 is not the best idea? I'm okay with relegating myself to a 60Hz refresh monitor, but I'm finding that there really aren't too many on the market --- and that a 144Hz can be had for just a little more, if not equal cash. example <--- I've got my eye on this.

My 3 big questions:

If I opt for a 144Hz monitor w/out Gsync, is it really going to ruin my experience when my system can't keep up? I'd rather not have to dial down my settings just to keep my machine from trying to keep up with my display - if for some reason a game/application doesn't have the option to manually reduce it's refresh to 60Hz?

I've read that 27" is optimal for 1440p. Are there any other "optimal" display sizes for this resolution, or any widescreen ratios to stay away from?

I'd still like to keep my 22" Syncmaster as a 2nd display, so that I can browse/multitask/etc. while gaming on my new monitor. I would like to verify that I can easily set this up (2 alternate resolution displays) through my Windows10 display options without any issues?

This will pretty much be a Christmas gift, so I'm definitely hoping to take advantage of any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Please feel free to post any recommendations that you feel would be suitable for me.

As always, thanks in advance for your time and attention. I really do appreciate it. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Go IPS and 1440p. G-Sync is great but adds a lot to the price tag unlike FreeSync. Here is a great all around option:

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" 60Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $379.99

1. 144hz is great cuz beyond 60fps is nice in BF1, but in Witcher it doesn't matter (for me).
2. At 27" u want higher resolution but 4k is outta price for now. Stick to 2560x1440p as many monitors are still fast. Some 21:9 1440p are out there but slow.
3. I run a 27" 1440p and a side monitor. Absolutely normal to do so.

That Acer is a TN panel and will be fast but colors are slightly behind most IPS panels. Based on your gaming profile, I'd still get it. You will want above 60fps in BF1 even if no G-Sync.

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Ah, I didnt even notice that my link was to a TN monitor. Just to clarify, are you recommending that I should still get the TN, faster monitor over the IPS monitor you posted earlier?

Tough call. If you play a lot of BF1 then I'd say go with fast monitor like the TN panel one you listed, but keep in mind it has FreeSync which is only usable with a AMD gpu. You can still use your Nvidia gpu on the monitor but can't use FreeSync then.

Since you got a Nvidia GPU I'd suggest looking for an affordable 1440p monitor with G-Sync. If you are willing to push budget a bit to $400 range then there is a good monitor on sale now......Dell S2417DG...it is 1440p, TN panel, G-Sync, and 165Hz

Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 165Hz Monitor ($430.27 @ Amazon)
Total: $430.27

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Even though that IS a nicely priced g-sync monitor (especially compared to anything else w/ g-sync) I still don't think I want to spend that much on a TN. I really do want the pretty IPS, especially if I'm paying that much.

I also understand the AMD/Nvidia::Freesync/Gsync relationship. My main question is still largely unanswered: if I would play BF1 at >60Hz without Gsync, will it look like garbage? I'm curious how significant the decay in my experience will be by NOT shelling out the extra $$$ for Gsync. Otherwise, I'll be content at 60fps & spending a little less on my pretty IPS 60Hz. And I think the only way for me to truly realize the difference would be to experience both displays in person....I'm sure there are some knowledgable posters here at Tom's that have had that experience first-hand?

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm looking to upgrade to a 480, 1060,or 1070, and don't know if the monitor tech should match the card. To me it seems like the Nvidia cards kill the 480 in benchmarks. I also am looking for pretty over fast. What specs should I be looking for besides ips? (I think I passed on some crazy LG deals today because lack of knowledge /indecisiveness)

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

I think the most important first-step decision(s) you need to make is screen size and resolution. Again, not from personal experience, but from other's expertise, I've gathered that: at HD (1080p), 24" is the way to go; and respectively at 2k (2560 x 1440p) 27" is the truest size.

From there, it's all about cost vs. quality.