Quick Overview

• Budget: $1,000 (I'm flexible)
    Use: Gaming, Photoshop, Web Development, and some Adobe Premiere work
    Type: I'm open to multiple monitors or a single massive ultra wide
    Graphics Card: GTX 980
Current Setup

• Far Left Monitor (Vertical): Dell P2310H
    Center Monitor: Dell U3011, purchased in 2012
    Far Right Monitor: [strike]Dell U3011, purchased in 2014[/strike] (recently failed)
Background
Despite owning a surge protector, my beloved U3011 dyed as a result of a thunderstorm. I figured this might be an opportunity for me to rethink my current setup (which is noted above), especially considering the upcoming Amazon Prime Sale (as well as all of the companies competing with deals).

On one hand, I am open to purchasing another U3011 to replace the failed monitor. I enjoy the 16x10 aspect ratio, and used versions of the monitor are going for about $400. However, I can see that I'd be paying a premium for 16x10, and this as an opportunity for me to modernize my setup.

I have heard good things about ultra wide monitors, and it is something that might be a good fit my for usecase. Aesthetics are also important to me, and so having a single, large, and high quality monitor sounds very appealing.With that said, I am also mindful that I would be working with fewer pixels, and as a design professional, I have grown to love the 16x10 pixel ratio multiplied by two thirty inch monitors side by side.

What do you think?

Would it be a waste to get rid of my current U3011 and P231OH for a single ultra wide? If not, have any monitor suggestions? I am looking at these ultra wide monitors, but I am very open to suggestions (I included the price as reference, though I have yet to really hunt for any good deals):

Thank you!

Solution
biased things first, I prefer dell over LG.

from my standpoint I prefer the colour accuracy from dell over LG, I dont know what kind of odd features they are building in with 1ms/ motion blur reduction and amd freesync. but they are not free and imho they're worthless for 60 hz.

so I rather have a good looking 60 hz panel.

Dell U3818DW
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($692.52 @ Amazon)
Total: $692.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-16 10:12 EDT-0400

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm#contrast_stability

I would pick this monitor if u prefer gaming above ... adoge srgb is also spot on.

if the above is reversed I would get a : Dell UltraSharp U2718Q
its a HDR monitor so it your colour accuracy will be unmatched. I havent seen a gaming review on it. that i trust but its an option you should know.

Last, your suggestions, I like your first suggestion but camon than bump up straight to an acer x34.

edit: layout

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Interesting - thank you! Have any preference between the Dell U3818DW and LG 38UC99?

biased things first, I prefer dell over LG.

from my standpoint I prefer the colour accuracy from dell over LG, I dont know what kind of odd features they are building in with 1ms/ motion blur reduction and amd freesync. but they are not free and imho they're worthless for 60 hz.

so I rather have a good looking 60 hz panel.

Dell U3818DW

Solution

tangoup

Great
Jul 7, 2018
Hey, keep in mind that if you game in windowed mode, I BELIEVE a curved monitor wouldn't show much of an improvement due to the smaller visual. I could be mistaken.