[SOLVED] Monitor filled with horizontal red lines and dots - Can't figure out the source.

Ethan Carlone

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015
So basically, I brought my PC up to college this weekend, and when I turned it on and connected to my monitor, both of which worked totally normal at home for 5+ years, my monitor is filled with red lines and dots. I've reseated the GPU and RAM, and same issue. I took a screenshot and there are no visual artifacts on the screenshot on my laptop. Also in the BIOS, there are no artifacts. It's only when I am in windows. I will also say that I tried plugging the HDMI into the motherboard without the graphics card plugged in and it didn't even post. So basically, I have no idea whats going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Specs
intel core 15 6600k @4.2 ghz
corsair h115i cooler
gigabyte z170x-gaming 5 atx mobo
g.skill ripjaws 2x8gb @3000mhz
wd blue 1tb
pny 480gb ssd
samsung 960 evo 256gb
Asus Strix gtx1070
Panteks enthoo pro m
evga g2 850w 80+ gold

Solution
Hi there! Hopefully I can help you with what's going on here. I have a few suggestions to start, and perhaps a few more if things don't work out.

Firstly, did anything happen at all when transporting the PC? Any bumps or jarring, anything like that? I'm sure you were careful with it, but it may be best to just do a visual inspection and make sure everything looks like it's in good shape still. Reseating it was a good idea, along with the RAM. Clearing the CMOS is another option, but it's probably uneccessary.

Second, is there integrated graphics on the CPU/motherboard that work? You can try unplugging the GPU and booting into windows using the motherboard video output and seeing if the lines and artifacts are still there. You...

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there! Hopefully I can help you with what's going on here. I have a few suggestions to start, and perhaps a few more if things don't work out.

Firstly, did anything happen at all when transporting the PC? Any bumps or jarring, anything like that? I'm sure you were careful with it, but it may be best to just do a visual inspection and make sure everything looks like it's in good shape still. Reseating it was a good idea, along with the RAM. Clearing the CMOS is another option, but it's probably uneccessary.

Second, is there integrated graphics on the CPU/motherboard that work? You can try unplugging the GPU and booting into windows using the motherboard video output and seeing if the lines and artifacts are still there. You may have to change setting in the BIOS to allow the machine to use onboard video when a GPU is installed. Either that, or take the GPU out of the computer like previously mentioned to try this.

Once you get me the information on that, we can look into other options. For now, I have a great suggestion that may clear things up. We're going to try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Here are the steps:
  1. Make sure GPU is installed in the system and you're using it for video output.
  2. Download DDU from here. (Download will start automatically)
  3. Extract the zip file into whatever destanation folder you want (downloads folder would be fine)
    1. You'll have to enter the newly extracted folder and use the 7-zip self-extracting archive inside and it will create the actual folder for DDU.
  4. After DDU has been extracted, hit the WINDOWS + R key at the same time and type in 'msconfig'. Hit the enter key, it should bring you to windows "System Configuration" options
  5. Go to the boot tab, check the 'safe mode' box and minimal radio button should be selected.
  6. click apply/OK and a prompt will have you restart the machine into safe mode.
  7. Once back in Windows (now in safe mode) go back to the "System Configuration" options right away (WINDOWS + R ---> msconfig, just like before) and uncheck the safe mode box under the boot tab. This time when you apply/OK, say 'restart later'
  8. Now go to the extracted DDU application and run it (where you extracted it previously)
    1. Keep all settings set to defaults.
    2. When you're at the main application window, towards the right side select GPU, and NVIDIA on the dropdowns.
    3. Use the top option of 'Clean and Restart'
    4. Let it do it's thing!
  9. After the machine restarts, you should be back into windows normal boot mode and you'll have no:
    1. GPU drivers
    2. NVIDIA control panel
    3. GeForce Experience
    4. NVIDIA registry keys
  10. Windows will automatically search for display drivers using windows update. You can now re-install GeForce experience and do a clean install of your drivers!

This is the best way to get rid of corruption in drivers and start fresh. If the problem persists, let me know! I hope this helps you out!

Last edited:
Solution