Monitor Flicker on GTX 670M

gunnar725

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello all, I'm sorry if this has been answered... I've done a pretty thorough search over the last few months that this has been happening and I've found similar issues but none that have solved my problem.

I currently have a dual monitor set up running off of my laptop and which ever monitor is last in the series has a random, intermittent flicker issue. (Laptop monitor, D-Sub Asus VS247H-P, HDMI Asus VS247H-P). Currently the last monitor in the series is the HDMI Asus. However the issue happens on the D-Sub monitor as well if I change that monitor to the 3rd or last in the series. This also occurs if I have no monitors plugged in and am only using the laptop screen. The screen will go black with a little bit of static noise on the farthest left edge for either just a split second or for upwards of 30 seconds.

Whenever the screen flicker occurs there is also an audible increase in my GPU fan speed. When the fan speed slows the flicker goes away. I have a CPUID hardware monitor that lists my fan speed at 100% all of the time so I'm not sure what kind of increase is occurring.

It does seem worse when watching movies or Netflix or playing any video games. Messing with the HDMI or D-Sub cables that are plugged into the laptop will exacerbate the issue, I usually only do this when the blackout occurs for an extended amount of time to get it to "reset" to a shorter flicker and then stop. Sometimes messing with the cables will cause the laptop to think the last monitor with the issue has been unplugged.

All drivers have been updated, I recently replaced the keyboard on the laptop itself which required a BIOS upgrade as well, during this time I also cleaned out the interior of the laptop of dust. This issue has been happening since before the BIOS upgrade but it did seem to get worse shortly after the upgrade, I am not sure if there is any relation however.

I have read that rolling back to a previous version of an NVIDIA driver solved this problem for some people but those posts were all over two years old and I could not find a recent solution or recent suggestion of which driver to roll back to.

I have a Sager Laptop with:
GTX 670M GPU
i7 2670 CPU
16 GB memory
Windows 7
one Asus VS247H-P plugged in via D-Sub
one Asus VS247H-P plugged in via HDMI

I hope that all made sense, thank you all for your time and any assistance you are able to provide!

Solution
Sounds like a lack of VRAM, increasing the laptop DRAM might help depending on how it allows for sharing system DRAM to the GPU, might want to contact Sager and see what they think