Question Monitor flickering on and off at high resolutions

Industrial7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2014
I built a new PC today, as my old one was broken, and decided to reuse my old GPU until the new AMD or Nvidia cards arrive later this year.

I had a few issues after assembling the PC. To start with, the PC wouldn't boot up properly, it would have power but would not go to the BIOS or POST and would not send a signal to my monitor. I solved this by unplugging the power connectors to the CPU and MB and then reinserting them. My PC still doesn't show the option to open the BIOS upon bootup, but as long as I press the delete key it still opens anyway. I mentioned this information in case it is linked to my current issue.

My monitor is a 1444p, 60 Hz display, but if I update the drivers for my GPU, the screen will flicker on and off. It will remain on for a second or two, then go blank for maybe three or four seconds, before coming back on for a few seconds, then going blank again, and so on and so on.

I tried rolling back the drivers for my GPU, and this allows me to use the PC at 1024x768 without any flickering, but any higher and it begins to flicker. I also updated the monitor's drivers.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Niall

My setup:

MB: MSI B450M Mortar Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Sapphire AMD R9 290X TRI-X OC GPU (I bought this way back in 2014)
RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury
SSD: Crucial P1 M.2
PSU: Corsair TX650M (650W, semi-modular)

Edit: added PSU model.

Last edited:

Industrial7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2014
Just an update, I think I managed to resolve the issue.

I had already tried using an HDMI cable instead of DP to see if that helped, it didn't. I used the HDMI on the monitor with a laptop occassionally so I knew it normally worked.

I later found out I had a mini-DP cable (no idea when I got that), and unlike HDMI and DP, there were no issues when I used that.

I have no idea why the mini-DP works, but it seems too!