Question Monitor flickers at startup ?

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.70GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown (15-15-15-35)
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) (U3E1)
Monitor: ASUS PB278 (2560x1440@60Hz)
GPU: 8GB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 (XFX Pine Group)
Storage: 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0 (SATA )
Optical Drive: ATA ATAPI iHAS124 F

When plugging in my monitor, it flickers on and off (usually for about 15 minutes) before it finally starts up. It sometimes flashes black and green, and when it stops flickering, it works perfectly fine. I have two other monitors, one much older and one much newer, and I have no problems with them. I've tried multiple cords and reinstalling my drivers, same result.

Ralston18

Titan
Just to be sure that I understand your post: you unplug the monitor when not in use - correct?

If so what is the reason for doing so: power service problems, brownouts, blackouts, surges, etc,?

If you leave the monitor continually plugged in do the flashes and flickering stop?

You mentioned reinstalling drivers: do you mean GPU drivers or actual drivers for the monitor?

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
My power supply is the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3. I'm not using any enhanced display features, and I unplug my monitor because it sometimes flickers when not in use, which is distracting (I only ever use as a secondary monitor). It even does it when it's the only monitor plugged in and in safe mode. Leaving it plugged it makes no difference. As for the drivers, I reinstalled the GPU drivers and the monitor drivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts