Question Monitor for a product designer

Aug 8, 2021
Hey guys,
Need some help from the pros.

I'm using a MacBook Air, will be updating to the new Pro when it launches somewhen this year, because of that I think USB-C connection would be awesome (ease of use + charging).
The biggest thing I'm worried about and have no idea what to choose is the resolution and size.

I'm worried about weird UI scaling - as I work as a Product Designer (designing apps for web or iOS) it's super important that it's smooth and crisp. I'm spoiled by macbook's displays and the high PPI they have. I just want it to work and look great.

Because of that I was considering two choices:
  • Apple's XDR
  • LG's 5K
But the first one is way too pricey for a monitor, I just can't get myself to spend that much. And the second one is unavailable where I live, without any signs of them being back in stock anywhere soon.

So here I am, wanting an upgrade in available working space but all the options seem wrong? Are my worries ridiculous? Are there any monitors launching this year that I should wait for?

Thank you so much for any tips.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
    Poland
  2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
    Web and App design. Possibly console gaming, but that's faaaar down the list
  3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
    Screen size between 24-30"
  4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
    Doesn't matter
  5. How much are you looking to spend?
    Up to $1500
  6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
    No preference
  7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
    N/A
  8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
    No
  9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
    1, Im using MacBook Air 2019, Will be upgrading to the new Pro this year
  10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
    Preferably USB-C
  11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
    Primary
  12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
    Yes

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need one more piece of information. Can you parse links to your preferred sites for purchase/shop so we can see what sort of options you have access to? I'd have suggested Dell's Ultrasharp's but then again you might not have access to them. If you can, can you prioritize the 10% of use for the tasks you've listed above? Include the app's you sue for your daily workload.

Aug 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need one more piece of information. Can you parse links to your preferred sites for purchase/shop so we can see what sort of options you have access to? I'd have suggested Dell's Ultrasharp's but then again you might not have access to them. If you can, can you prioritize the 10% of use for the tasks you've listed above? Include the app's you sue for your daily workload.

Thanks Lutfij,

From what I saw most of the regular displays are widely available here, just that LG 5K is nowhere to be found. I think they have been unavailable in whole EU for some time now. All the others were in stock or at least with an option of back order or buying anywhere in EU.

My app workload consists of:
  1. Figma - 50% - UI Design
  2. Browsers (Chrome and Safari) - 30% - Tedious project management, research, emails
  3. Slack - 10% - Communication
  4. Adobe suite (After Effects, Photoshop) - 10% - Video and Graphic Design

I was considering the Dell Ultrasharp you mentioned, but I was worried about the PPI difference, how the UI would scale compared to my MacBook's monitors.

TRENDING THREADS