Monitor for console gaming!

bestianera89

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Hi guys! i have 300€/£260/$390 (max 300£) and i need a new monitor for my playstation 3 and for my future playstation4. Im not an expert but i now that what i dead is a 24" with low input lag and ( im not sure about this ) i DONT need 120hz or more because for a console the maximum is 60hz right ? i think even the new generation are going to use just 60hz. Also 1:1 pixel map, so my ps3 games are displayed correctly ?

i was close to buy Dell Ultrasharp U2412M but is WITHOUT HDMI, its mean less performance ?

What i really need and what you suggest as monitor for console ? I dont care about movie, photoshop, 3D e PC i will use it just for Playstation.

Thanks

Matteo

for $390 you can buy a 32" lcdtv which is probably going to suit you a whole lot better than a small monitor.

in general what you want is 1920x1080p and HDCP support. i'm not sure about ps4 but ps3 works good on 60hz.

the 2412m is an e-ips panel at 1920x1200 which isnt really all that suited for your purposes. the resolution is not 1080p which is likely the resolution ps4 will use (as ps3 is 720 or 1080p). e-ips really isnt all that better than cheaper tn panels except for the much wider viewing angle. personally i would prefer e-ips over tn just for the viewing angle but tastes differ and you do pay more for e-ips.

you can use a dvi to hdmi adapter. essentially both are the same quality. i wouldnt say there is less quality over dvi than hdmi.

----------------

what do i suggest?

for just ps3/ps4 gaming you might be better suited with a 1080p 60hz 32" lcd tv.

Depends on your situation whether a TV would be better than a normal monitor, mainly the distance you plan to sit from the screen. The further away, you want it to get bigger.

HDMI and DVI both use the same digital signal, theres no difference in image quality between them. The only concern would be that HDMI can carry an audio signal, which DVI cant.

Wouldnt worry about the refresh rate of the monitor, 60hz is what you can expect the PS4 to run at at most. The hardware in there isnt exactly powerful enough to drive a 120hz display to its true potential.

Go for a 1080p IPS monitor, I tend to recommend ASUS ones as their fairly decent and generally offer a good value.

bestianera89

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

thanks! what about this http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE247H-Widescreen-Response-Intelligence-Technology/dp/B004T2LMP2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1371651947&sr=8-7&keywords=lcd+tv+1080p

also is amazon a good website for buying a monitor ? about 32" tv i can say that my room is too small and i will play pretty closeti the monitor...and about the input lag ? do you know any website with like a list of monitor with input lag ?

you may want to have a look at the monitor guide stickied at the top of this forum section as it has information you may want to know about.

do remember that e-ips is not the same as the s-ips, p-ips and h-ips panels. it is only 6bit (like tn panels) and the only real gain is a better viewing angle. in your price range you can likely only get tn, e-ips or maybe pls if you get lucky and find them on sale.

i'm not sure what bit depth the color is output as on a ps3/ps4 though so i'm not sure if it can take advantage of the better monitors. my guess would be to say that they can up to a point but thats just my guess.

the monitor you picked out i believe is a tn panel. they have fast response times but color reproduction is average. this is what most people have on their computers so you've definitely seen the types of panel before

you may want to pay attention to screen coatings. glossy looks the most vibrant however it shows alot of glare. anti-glare defeats glare however it can look like you are trying to look through a thin coating of sand. a matte finish (no coating) is the best as it doe not show much glare but the colors are not quite as vibrant as glossy.

i dont know about ordering monitors and televisons from amazon but i've had great luck with amazon so far for all of my small purchases.

input lag is the total time it take for you to do an action and see it on screen. this is a culmination of monitor response time, controller lag and ps3 processing. i think you may want to concentrate on response time instead. keep in mind that it is not absolutely required to have a 2ms response time. anything below 10 is suitable though i have used a higher response time monitor than that and had good luck.

i personally use a 40" sony bravia with my computer and ps3 and it works perfectly fine in both cases. i have it wall mounted behind the desk.

if you go with a regular 60hz model you should be fine. i think most people play with televisions anyways. i have seen people play with monitors but i think its a minority.

your choice of course. i was just making a suggestion.

hdmi input would be prefered so you dont need any fancy adapters. (if you are buying a pc monitor that is, tvs normally have hdmi standard)

led will save you money however on computer monitors a cheap model with led can sometimes have a blue or purple hue (they dont use true white leds in cheap panels). (if you are buying a pc monitor that is)

for ps3 you need HDCP support listed in the specs.

bestianera89

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
a lot of people told me about LCD TV but i need some suggestion because i really don't now nothing about TV. Even for a TV the input lag is important i think. Do you now any website or do you have any suggestion about model / brand ?
what its HDCP support ?

hdcp
Web definitions
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

it is a standard that the ps3 uses. most monitors will have HDCP compliance or supported listed in the specifications.

without HDCP you will get a black screen and no display from the ps3. as i said before most monitors have this but i need to list it just in case.

----

personally i prefer sony, then samsung then perhaps lg for televisions.

1080p, 60hz, no smart-tv. its up to you if you want led or not (depends on what you find in your price range) but generally go led if you can when it comes to tvs.

personally i wouldnt ever buy a vizio, emerson or other budget branded device however there are many people who do and they work for them at a lower cost bracket. just realize though that when it dies its gone for good as getting parts or repair is not going to happen likely.

----

with monitors i would suggest dell, viewsonic, asus, acer, samsung and then maybe lg.

1080p, 60hz, with a tn, va, e-ips screen. if you go led in a cheaper model read reviews to make sure it doesnt have a blue hue to the picture.

----

i'm not going to suggest any one particular model. i will let you compare the features against your budget.

bestianera89

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thank you very much! well i did read a lot of reviews and i want you opinion about benq XL2411T. 250 pound and seems perfect for everything. Maybe is too much for a console but maybe i will use it with a desktop in the future...