Question Monitor for new Macbook 16" M1 Max

mrdogcat

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
I've ordered a new MacBook 16" M1 MAX to finally replace my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014... It's been a hard-working little thing for many years but I think it's time to put it up for retirement.

So I also need to replace my ageing Thunderbolt display with something more of this decade.

Requirements:
• No smaller than 27" (no use in going backwards!)
• No more than £700

What would be the best one on the market that cover those requirements above?

It would be used for graphic/video Adobe CC suites.

There's hundreds of monitors that would cover those two requirements. So let's narrow it down:
  • How important is color accuracy?
  • Do you need support for a specific color space? And if so, how much coverage would you like?
  • Are you going to work on HDR content?
Otherwise my go to recommendation is something from Dell, though LG or Samsung is also a good pick.

mrdogcat

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Colour accuracy - is very important as it'll be primarily for work.
Colour space - I work mainly for the web or video (would that be sRGB? I can never remember!!!)
HDR - It's a possibility as I'll be video editing. Albeit I've not yet needed to yet.

I would say look at Dell's UltraSharp series first. They seem to be recommended a lot. You can also look at https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/photo-editing-graphic-design

Other stats to look out for when shopping around:
  • Panel Type: I would argue IPS here over VA. If it's TN, don't even bother. IPS has the advantage of having consistent color presentation across a wide range of viewing angles, which I would argue is more important than VA's higher contrast, especially if you're going to show someone on the side. I use a VA panel monitor as my daily driver and I can move my head a few inches from the center and notice color shifting (it's not obnoxious, but it's noticeable)
  • Color Space/Coverage: Look out for DCI-P3 in reviews. This is the color space used in digital films.
  • HDR: If you do go with HDR, make sure to get an HDR 500 or HDR 600 monitor. HDR 400 isn't worth while. Though if you're going to get more serious, I'd suggest getting an OLED TV
  • Resolution: I would also argue 4K would be better here, even if you have to use UI scaling. You can still see more of what you're working on at 100% compared to say a 1440p or 1080p monitor of the same size.

mrdogcat

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Good god, I think this might be the most difficult hardware decision I've ever made. There are so many variables and options to consider!!! My budget has also crept up.

I've focussed on IPS ultra-wide displays with USB-C and tried to get the PPI as close as possible to 110 so I don't need to worry about the OS scaling things.

I've narrowed it down to the below (this display is mainly for design and video creation):

DELL
U3421WE @ 109ppi - £860

LG
34GN850 @ 110ppi - £960 (is the extra expense worth it for what I'm using it for over the others?)
38WK95C-W @110.93ppi - £938
38GN950-B @ 111ppi - £864
34WN80C-B @ 110ppi - £560

Why are the last two so much cheaper? Is it just because they're older models or just a lot more inferior? Are they still good options?

So, which one would you go for?

Would you recommend a different one over these?

Last edited:

mrdogcat

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
So I think I'm going to go with the LG 34WK95U. I'm really sold on having an ultrawide as it will help with productivity and video editing/creation.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the new MacBook Pros? Any issues other than you can't control the volume or brightness via the keyboard? Is the text nice and sharp etc?

Does anyone have any others they want to throw in at the last minute?