Question Monitor for Outdoor Use

radar81

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Where and how do I shop for a monitor suited for outdoor use in bright sun? I understand that I need a Brightness of at least 700 nits for this purpose, is that right? I have tried googling and searching on amazon for terms such as "700 nits" "700 cd/m²" "Outdoor Use", but I'm not finding great results. What search terms should I be using?

In terms of size, 23" is sufficient. I don't want a curved form factor. Can anyone recommend a monitor that is good for outdoor use?

Aug 10, 2020
I worked for a computer shop that installed outdoor business signage like the really big ad screens. We also constantly replaced the screens in those fast food ordering kiosks, which theoretically protect from weather. Panasonic sold some indostrial grade like laptops for haz-waste environments.

Reactions: radar81

radar81

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
That's cool. Yeah all the products with ultra strong brightness that I am finding appear to be marketed for industrial use.

In my case, which I presume is extremely unique based on my research thus far, I don't really care about ruggedness or weather protection. I would only be taking the monitor outside when the weather is nice.

Aug 10, 2020
Without detail, I was assuming a fast food kiosk monitor for "inside" outside conditions. Some retail signage is bright enough to see from outside, through a store window. They also run larger to be seen from a distance. Note that polarizer screens will cut down on sunlight interference.