Monitor Freezes and Flickers

novice

Hi,
This is my first attempt to use this site for help so please bear with me.
I have a laptop computer. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is freezing and at
time it flickers in that area. If I slightly twist the upper left corner of
the monitor I can see through the frozen area but it starts flickering again.
It never goes away. I haven't a clue as to what is causing this so I'm
turning to those of you with experience in the matter. PLEASE HELP
--
Laci

LCD screens are backlit with fluorescent bulbs. When the
bulbs begin to fail they flicker, just like the lights in
the buildings you see. Also, the connections in the laptop
are exposed to mechanical shock and damage.

Do you have warranty coverage remaining? Contact the laptop
maker.

some support

"Novice" <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
| This is my first attempt to use this site for help so
please bear with me.
| I have a laptop computer. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is
freezing and at
| time it flickers in that area. If I slightly twist the
upper left corner of
| the monitor I can see through the frozen area but it
starts flickering again.
| It never goes away. I haven't a clue as to what is causing
this so I'm
| turning to those of you with experience in the matter.
PLEASE HELP
| --
| Laci

novice

The laptop is just over 2 yrs old with no warranty left. Wouldn't you just
know it?
Is there nothing else I can do? I have to move my webpages up the screen so
I can see them. The stripes run vertically from the bottom for about 3 inches.

--
Laci

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> LCD screens are backlit with fluorescent bulbs. When the
> bulbs begin to fail they flicker, just like the lights in
> the buildings you see. Also, the connections in the laptop
> are exposed to mechanical shock and damage.
>
> Do you have warranty coverage remaining? Contact the laptop
> maker.

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "Novice" <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> | This is my first attempt to use this site for help so
> please bear with me.
> | I have a laptop computer. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is
> freezing and at
> | time it flickers in that area. If I slightly twist the
> upper left corner of
> | the monitor I can see through the frozen area but it
> starts flickering again.
> | It never goes away. I haven't a clue as to what is causing
> this so I'm
> | turning to those of you with experience in the matter.
> PLEASE HELP
> | --
> | Laci

Malke

Novice wrote:

> The laptop is just over 2 yrs old with no warranty left. Wouldn't you
> just know it?
> Is there nothing else I can do? I have to move my webpages up the
> screen so I can see them. The stripes run vertically from the bottom
> for about 3 inches.

I am so sorry, but there really isn't anything you can do except contact
the laptop mftr. for repair. This is one of those problems that will
require replacing failing parts. You can see if any of your local
professional computer repair shops fix laptop screens - some places do
this kind of work. It will not be cheap but if you have a nice laptop
then it may be worth spending the money.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

novice

Jim..Mlake,
Thank you both for trying to help. It is much appreciated.
Laci
--
Laci

"Malke" wrote:

> Novice wrote:
>
> > The laptop is just over 2 yrs old with no warranty left. Wouldn't you
> > just know it?
> > Is there nothing else I can do? I have to move my webpages up the
> > screen so I can see them. The stripes run vertically from the bottom
> > for about 3 inches.
> >
> I am so sorry, but there really isn't anything you can do except contact
> the laptop mftr. for repair. This is one of those problems that will
> require replacing failing parts. You can see if any of your local
> professional computer repair shops fix laptop screens - some places do
> this kind of work. It will not be cheap but if you have a nice laptop
> then it may be worth spending the money.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Novice wrote:

> Jim..Mlake,
> Thank you both for trying to help. It is much appreciated.
> Laci

You're welcome, Laci. Sorry that we didn't have an answer that would
magically fix the problem. Hope everything turns out OK for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Remember to backup everything you need... while you can still see what is on
the drive!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> Jim..Mlake,
> Thank you both for trying to help. It is much appreciated.
> Laci
> --
> Laci

Try connecting an external monitor.