Monitor gets no signal after windows update installed intel graphics drivers.

edwinmzx

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Here is everything I know so far.

Trying to install any intel graphics drivers crashes my PC. When I reboot my PC it gets to the windows 10 Logo screen, but then my monitor gets no signal and automatically turns off.

I am using a GTX 970 and it is connected to the monitor through DisplayPort.

Resetting the PC or reinstalling Windows 10 fixes this problem, but then I have to make sure to turn off Windows update completely or else I will have to reset the PC again if Windows update decides to install intel graphics drivers.

I cannot let Windows update or upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10 because for some reason Intel graphics drivers get installed in the upgrade process.

I tried upgrading to the creator's update of Windows 10 using the Update Assistant but I am guessing Intel graphics drivers were installed in the process making my PC crash and end up in a loop where whenever I try to reboot, my PC gets to the windows 10 logo but then the monitor get no signal right after.

I can start my PC in safe mode (with networking) with no problems.

I've had this problem for 2 years or so, and the only workaround I have so far is resetting the PC or reinstalling Windows 10 and turning windows update and never trying to install any intel graphics drivers or any updates windows update may want to install. I've pretty much have used my PC without ever updating any drivers for 1 year or so and have had no problems until I decided to try and get the creator's update.

I don't know if its defective hardware (maybe the motherboard?) or the drivers, which is weird because Ive tried to manually install many intel graphics drivers many times with the same results, PC freezes, it forces me to turn off my PC, and then it gets to the logo screen and finally it fails to display anything on my screen (no signal).

I am not sure what the problem is here and I wish to fix this or determine if it is a defective hardware I need to change.

Here are my PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6DT3Gf

I've tested ram, no problems, I've tested the HDD, no problems. I've tested my monitor and displayport cable with another PC, no problems. What else is there to test.

EDIT: I've went ahead and started my PC in safe mode, then went on ahead and uninstalled the intel graphics drivers. Then I restarted and everything seems to be working fine again. I still do not know what the problem is exactly and would appreciate advice from someone experienced because my solution is only a workaround.

Solution
You can also go into BIOS and tell it to use the PCIe as your primary video. What is happening is that your onboard video, the Intel one, is set as primary. If you plug your monitor into that on board VGA jack, the monitor probably will be working. Most times when you put in a GPU in the PCIe slot, it will switch automatically, but sometimes it doesn't and you just have to tell your PC to use the other one. You can do this in your BIOS screen. There are several BIOS versions out there, but when you are booting and get to the "press .... to enter BIOS" do it and just go through all the tabs until you see the one for video. Make sure it is set for the PCIe to be your primary video.
G

You have to set your preferred GPU as the nVidia one.

Go to Device Manager > Display adapters. Select nVidia Control Panel to switch between two graphics manually under Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor.

edwinmzx

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

I am not sure what you mean. I am only using a single GPU: gtx 970 and I do not see the option in the nvidia control panel anywhere.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
normaly when a gpu is present the on board graphics card is disabled. On my pc when i try to install an intel graphics driver it says that an intel graphics accelerator is not present or something like that.

G

Look again, the option is there. From Device Manager > Display adapters. NOT THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

G

Look again, the option is there. From Device Manager > Display adapters. NOT THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

G

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
You can also go into BIOS and tell it to use the PCIe as your primary video. What is happening is that your onboard video, the Intel one, is set as primary. If you plug your monitor into that on board VGA jack, the monitor probably will be working. Most times when you put in a GPU in the PCIe slot, it will switch automatically, but sometimes it doesn't and you just have to tell your PC to use the other one. You can do this in your BIOS screen. There are several BIOS versions out there, but when you are booting and get to the "press .... to enter BIOS" do it and just go through all the tabs until you see the one for video. Make sure it is set for the PCIe to be your primary video.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS