Question Monitor getting no signal on two different GPUs. I feel like some component in my build is dead.

May 1, 2019
Hello!

I need your help guys :(

About 3 years ago, a build my first PC. Here are the specs:

GPU : Sapphire NITRO R9 390, 8GB with back plate
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 + afterstock cooler Silentium Spartan
MOBO: ASUS B150M PRO GAMING - Intel B150
RAM: HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133
Power Supply : Corsair CX Builder Series Modular 600W
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO - 250GB, Basic
HDD: WD Blue (EZEX), 3,5" - 1TB

It worked fine, I OC'd the GPU using Afterburner, and it was working flawlessly. But recently, I experienced some crashes, when gaming - the screen would go black, a loud noise would loop from speakers, and only thing that helped was to hard reset the PC by holding power button for like 3 seconds.

These crashes became more common in last week. PC would crash anytime I played a game for more than a 5 minutes. Two days ago, it crashed even when browsing web with Chrome.

I tried to lower the OC values in Afterburner, to stock values. It did not help at all. I tried re-installing drivers, uninstalling Afterburner, but PC would still crash.

So I figured the GPU might be dying, and I wanted to upgrade it anyway - so yesterday I bought a new GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G, 8GB GDDR6.

I thought that it would be better to to uninstall AMD drivers first, so I tried to start up my PC by pressing power button, but nothing happend. Fans not spinning. I made sure that the switch on PSU was switched on, tried an another power cable, but still no change.

• Today, I tried to boot up PC once again. It did kinda work - however, when I pressed power button, fans on CPU, GPU, PSU (and three additional fans in case) start spinning, but my screen is getting no signal. Black screen, no signal.
  • I made sure the monitor and HDMI cables are okay by two laptops of mine - both worked. There is no issue with my monitor or HDMI cable at all.
  • I tried to boot up my PC with a new GPU (rtx 2070), but still same issue - black screen, no signal, fans spinning.
  • I made sure all the cables from PSU to MOBO are firmly in. I tried plugging my RAMS into other channel. This caused fans to start spinning, for like 5 seconds, then it powered off, and after like 2 seconds it powered on again - fans spinning, but no signal on my monitor.
  • I tried to boot up my PC with no GPU, with HDMI cable plugged directly into MOBO - still no signal.

__

Any thoughts what component might be causing this? Could it be PSU? CPU? MOBO?
I feel like I tried everything I could think of. Please, any insight would be appreciated!

Could the PSU be damaged? Would fans spin, if it would be damaged? Could my CPU be dead? That could be the reason why even integrated GPU in CPU is not working, and my monitor is getting no signal, even with no GPU plugged in.

I guess some component is broken, but I would love to know which one. I dont want to replace PSU+CPU+MoBo at once, since I am out of my budget this month..

I am sorry for such wall of text, I just thought that I should include every detail I could think of.
Thank you very much in advance!!

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
After reading what you said and the issue's you are facing, it could be that the power supply is started to die.
The old cx series from corsair is tier 5 power supplies which is not good at all, i would recommend you to buy a new power supply instead, so you don't fry your new expensive graphic card.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Only way to know if it is the problem is buy changing it with another power supply and try if the problem is gone then your power supply is dying.
Because you said that you're getting crashes while gaming so it means that the power supply is having problems giving your components the needed amount of power while on load.

May 1, 2019
After reading what you said and the issue's you are facing, it could be that the power supply is started to die.
The old cx series from corsair is tier 5 power supplies which is not good at all, i would recommend you to buy a new power supply instead, so you don't fry your new expensive graphic card.

Thank you! I thought that PSU might be the reason.

May I ask what PSU would you recommend for this build?