froggie8810

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Pc specs
Motherboard: MSI h61m
Cpu: Sandy Bridge i5-2400@3.10ghz
Gpu: Nvidia geforce gtx 760 4gb
Ram(memory): G-skill 2x4gb
Psu: Corsair cx650m (purchased last year)

I know this issue may have been published before but I would like to see what I may inquire from more knowledgable minds. While playing games my pc has little faults and what not because of being close to max cap of its power, I have no issue with that just turn down graphics (sucks but w/e). My issue is when I'am watching youtube videos or tv shows, or its just sitting idle my computer freezes and both monitor's have whatever is going on glitching out pixelated boxes everywhere there is every color of the rainbow around whatever image is on, very rarely does the pc shut down on its own, only stops when I reset the pc. I'am thinking this maybe a Gpu issue as it is oldish as well but i would like to get further insight. I've watched video's and read up on verious websites on how to take apart the Gpu and clean up the chipset and reinstall some new thermal paste, but with no funds to get a newer Gpu this is what im going to be forced to do sooner rather then just buy a new gpu. i would love to just rebuild a new rig all together but only working person and father of 2 won't let that happen for quite some time, So if anyone has some better insight to if it would be the Gpu and what I should do would be thankfully appreciated.

what u describing is that your GPU has bad video memory
u could try msi afterburner to reduce memory clock, to see if it would help, otherwise new gpu

just a side note...in games this doesnt happen, only when doing light tasks?

well...
go to Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings

and find or add profiles for the following applications and configure their Power Management setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance" or to "Follow the Global Settings" and then configure the Global Settings to also "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) c:\windows\system32
Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) c:\windows
Mozilla Firefox (Firefox.exe)
Microsoft Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)
Microsoft Shell Experience Host (Windows shell experience)

Your CPU supports integrated graphics...; you could remove the GPU entirely, and connect to mainboard's VGA/HDMI output, as applicable... (most folks really only need the GPU for gaming anyway)

GPU could hypothetically be starved of power...c an you borrow a decent PSU for testing as a known good substitute for a few days?

froggie8810

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

I use Msi afterburner to monitor useage and temperature and before the effect happens there is no spike or loss of power that im seeing when the event happens, and it only seems to happen when i watch something not playing a game which I would figure would cause more work for the vram, thank you for your quick response

froggie8810

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

I know some things can be DOA, in which i bought this from a best buy when there was a sale, thankfully too because when I bought this my old off brand 1050w had died out(had that psu for almost 7 years of playing games), but i did have issues like this before the psu died out, the original owner of the card used it for moderate gaming and slight movie watching, and never had an issue, i recieved the card in 2016