Monitor goes black/blue after gaming

inomooshekki

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
My computer set up is
AMD FX-6300
R9 270X
I forgot what MB or PSU I have but I think it's 500~550W?

anyway my primary monitor is acer and my secondary monitor is samsung (5 years old) but still working well.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it usually happens after I play overwatch.
After playing overwatch, whenever I open itunes or try to watch videos or opening up LoL or any other applications, my main monitor goes black as the picture below.

Never had this happened with my second monitor.

Any help will be amazing

http://imgur.com/bpvSkXt

bpvSkXt

Solution

Deathcon51

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well, this could be a few things. One, it could be that your monitor is failing (unlikely). Two, your GPU isn't getting enough power being that the PSU is too small. Three, the GPU is failing. Or Four, your video cables (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc) is failing and needs to be switch out for a different one. First try the easiest solution, try using a different video output cable and try to use a different PCI-E power cable for your GPU.

Also, I was wondering if you've ever overclocked your GPU? This error is completely common if you have done so.

inomooshekki

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Hey thanks for the reply.
The monitor and the cable is new, only few months old so highly unlikely.
I thought 500~550W was sufficient for my set up? but that might be a problem.
I will try to use different hdmi/dvi cables and difference pci-e power cables for my gpu too.

I've also tried to overclock my gpu. First, I did really soft overclock but one time, I played around with the settings and resulted my computer to go into a boot loop. I guess that plays a factor too?

Deathcon51

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I'd have to do some more research on your PSU and PC spec setup, but are pretty busy currently. Yes, overclocking can easily do this, I've overclocked many GPUs before and this is almost always the affect when it's been pushed too far. You should definitely find a way to boot and work from the motherboard's integrated gpu.

Solution