Question Monitor goes Black randomly - Sounds still plays

Aug 19, 2020
Hi All,
So, I've been trying to figure out what's causing this issue (started about a month or so ago). I will be playing a game (Overwatch, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed Odyssey), and my monitors will go black. The sound from the game or the youtube video I had playing will continue to play, however, I cannot see anything. This happens at random intervals. Sometimes I load Overwatch and it immediately happens, sometimes I can get 2-3 games in. Sometimes it's gone a day or 2 without it happening. The only way I can get the monitor to come back on is by a hard restart.

ANY ideas or assistance at this point will be welcome.

I've tried:
  • Reinstalling drivers for the GPU (using DDU).
  • Rolling back the drivers for the GPU (After a clean wipe with DDU).
  • Ensuring Windows is uptodate.
  • Clean install of windows.
  • Using different cables for the monitors.
  • Different graphics card.
  • Updating the Bios.
  • Increasing fan speeds to ensure temps never went above 70C.
  • Reducing the Memory and Core Clock speeds by 100MHz.
  • Setting the Power Management to High Performance.
  • Pressing Win Key + Shift + Ctrl + B to hopefully get the monitors back on again (doesn't work).
I have visited pretty much every link google has provided regarding this issue and nothing I've come across works. This is a last-ditch effort to try and see if anyone has any clue what may be causing this. Is it possibly a hardware issue?

Specs:
MB: MSI Z270 Gaming M5
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: Asus ROG 2080ti - replaced an MSI 1080ti when the issue first started
PSU: Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze or Gold (I can't remember)
RAM: 16gigs of Corsair
Monitors: Samsung U28E590 and an older 1920x1080 S230HL (used for youtube/browsing mostly on the side)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
would think its the PSU any idea how old it is rough idea
Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze or Gold (I can't remember)
That's what I've been leaning to more and more as I've investigated. It's roughly 4-5 years old at this point.

Planning on grabbing another one tomorrow and we'll see if that works out. (I'll edit the original post once I've replaced it).