Question Monitor goes black with "no signal" in the middle of games.

Jun 19, 2019
Hi all, I recently built a pc and have had it for a month now with no issues until today. I was in the middle of a League of Legends game when my monitor went black and "no signal" popped up. I then heard the windows sound (the same sound it makes when you put in your headphones or usb, etc.) but I couldn't tell what it was as my monitor was black. The only way to get "signal" again is to restart my PC, but even then once I start playing games the same thing happens, where it loses signal after 10 minutes or so.

This is what I've tried so far:
  • Updated GPU driver
  • Tried different DP ports in my GPU (there are 3)
  • Monitored my GPU temperature while idle and when playing (it is 45 ish when idle, and 52-55 ish when gaming).
These are my specs:
Monitor: Viewsonic XG2402
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: i5 8600k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151
PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W 80+ Gold

UPDATE: So.... I think I just made things worse. Before, the monitor would work after restarting my PC and would only black out around 10 minutes into a game. But now it's losing signal 2-3 mins after restarting my PC, without even playing games. I was using AORUS engine (Gigabyte's software for the GPU), and changed my fan settings from "semi-passive" to "active", meaning they would run on startup rather than turn on when hitting a specific temperature (because my initial thought was that my GPU was overheating). So my guess is that for some reason, once my fans start running (i.e. in the middle of a game when on the 'semi-passive' setting and right away on start up on the 'active' setting)... the monitor loses signal shortly after? Could this be the issue? Or am I completely wrong? I don't know anything about computers so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019
Most likely the GPU is faulty contact vendor/manufacturer.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. It's just so weird that it would give out randomly. I'm going to be taking it out after work and testing my monitor via HDMI (though, I've been using DisplayPort this whole time) on integrated graphics. If everything is fine, then I'll contact Gigabyte. If I still run into issues... then I guess I'll come back here hahaha. Thank you!!