Monitor goes blank after connecting to GPU

Sep 13, 2018
Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.

My monitor, which is an HP Envy Curved 34-a051 (all in one monitor/pc) works fine when it’s connected to my main PC’s motherboard but can’t get into windows outside of safe mode when it’s connected to the GPU HDMI port (GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 ti). This is fine for most things, but, as you can imagine, not so good for gaming. Just at the moment when I would normally access windows, the screen goes blank, displays a generic “no signal” error and shuts off.

I had previously assumed this had something to do with my card or motherboard, but, upon connecting my PC to a more conventional TV, everything worked fine. My theory is that it has something to do with my monitor’s unusually low refresh rate (30 hz), but I changed this setting to 29hz with interlacing while connected to the regular TV setup and had no effect. Also, when I boot into safe mode the refresh rate is still set to 60 hz.

I’ve tried logging in with VGA mode and disabling all non-essential video settings and more, but the most that’s gotten me is to the login screen. I feel like I’ve tried basically everything and have been completely baffled by this issue for months. I hope I’ve provided you with enough information, though I’d be happy to give more. I really hope someone can shed some light on this.

PS: I haven’t experimented with any other graphics cards as this one is the only one I own.

Thanks!

Solution
Update: I’ve managed to change the refresh rate of the monitor in question by logging into safe mode and changing the refresh rate through Nvidia control panel (previously inaccessible with HDMI plugged into the motherboard) to 30 hz. Everything seems to be working normally now, games included, although one game did crash once a few minutes after applying the settings. I may have to update some drivers and/or undo some changes to the BIOS but the issue seems to be effectively resolved.

I hope I didn’t waste anyone’s time (I’m shocked that I actually got it to work myself) and that this might be helpful to someone else in the future.
Sep 13, 2018
Update: I’ve managed to change the refresh rate of the monitor in question by logging into safe mode and changing the refresh rate through Nvidia control panel (previously inaccessible with HDMI plugged into the motherboard) to 30 hz. Everything seems to be working normally now, games included, although one game did crash once a few minutes after applying the settings. I may have to update some drivers and/or undo some changes to the BIOS but the issue seems to be effectively resolved.

I hope I didn’t waste anyone’s time (I’m shocked that I actually got it to work myself) and that this might be helpful to someone else in the future.

Solution