Question Monitor goes blank every now and then (under stress) ?

Wikingking

Commendable
Nov 11, 2019
Hi there!

I have a 1,5 year old system:

Asus Rog Strix Z390-H
i7-9700K,
4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR4,
Colorful 2080S
Corsair TX750
LG34UC89G-B 9 (as primary display)

Recently I have bought a second batch of RAMs, previously I had 2x8GB of the same Tridents. After I have installed them and redone the cablework around my table I noticed that the monitor goes blank randomly every now and then, mostly when I play games (so never in Windows or when I browse the net). I usually play Valorant which is not that demandind so I'd say it is once every match (40 mins) or even less frequent, but during Nioh 2 it is more frequent so I think it has something to do with power consumption or VGA stress.

Maybe it was just a false alarm but I once saw my TV going blank as well when I watched a 4K movie.

What could be the issue? Is it the new RAMs (-> motherboard)? Could it be my Graphics card failing (God please no!) or just the cables/monitor input slot having contact issues? Wrong driver? Is it the TX750 (vastly overpowered for this rig I guess)?
Windows event viewer doesn't detect any anomaly so it is not a software issue or this is out of Windows' reach.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History. Much more user friendly and provides a timeline format that helps reveal problems and patterns.

Certainly swap in other known working cables.

You can use (one at a time) either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Determine what, if anything, is different between playing Valorant and Nioh 2.

Remember you are not playing to win. Play to win as usual but your focus is on what the system doing.

Resources being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

See what else you can discover. May take a few "looks" to get comfortable with the process but all the more likely something may turn up.

Wikingking

Commendable
Nov 11, 2019
Also look in Reliability History. Much more user friendly and provides a timeline format that helps reveal problems and patterns.

Certainly swap in other known working cables.

You can use (one at a time) either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Determine what, if anything, is different between playing Valorant and Nioh 2.

Remember you are not playing to win. Play to win as usual but your focus is on what the system doing.

Resources being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

See what else you can discover. May take a few "looks" to get comfortable with the process but all the more likely something may turn up.

Thank you for your answer! RH gave no valuable info, it has not detected anything related.
I have cut all the cable clamps yesterday and set up my second monitor (connected through DVI-HDMI) to see the parameters in TM while playing. I played 2+2 hrs of NIOH2 and an hour of Valorant. The latter uses half as much GPU capacity while Nioh2 has it around 90-95% almost all the time.
I experienced no issues tho.
I will keep on testing to see if it was just the cable set up somehow. On second thought some of the clamps were too tight and maybe some of these cables were not that well shielded, I don't know. Let's hope.

Ralston18

Titan
Check the software and hardware specs for NIOH2.

Compare to Valorant.

Both games are likely to have some peaks in GPU use.

With Valorant running at around 45-50% (as I understand your post) there is more room to handle some peak.

With NIOH2 running at around 90-95% - not so much.

Also: noted that RH did not detect anything related.

You can also look in Event Viewer . Not as user friendly but worth a look as well.

Wikingking

Commendable
Nov 11, 2019
I've played today with my secondary monitor on (connected through DVI to HDMI). Turned out that the primary display did the blank thing again for a moment while playing Nioh2, but the secondary remained on.
It's very weird. Could it be cable/slot issue on either sides?