Monitor/GPU loses signal/crashes while playing games.

786michael

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
This is going to be a semi-detailed description of my problem, so bear with me.

It all started out as an average day playing CS:GO, practicing my aim, so on and so forth, on my Samsung 60hz 1680x1050 monitor. Then I went to play in the competitive mode and after 20 minutes i hear a loud buzz in my headphones, and the monitor crashes. At first i thought " eh the cable disconnected, i'll unplug it and plug it back in". Then i restarted the computer, opened the game, reconnected, played for around 10 minutes, then it crashed again. So i stopped playing CS:GO Competitive for like 1-2 hours.

Then, my new monitor arrived via courier, a BenQ XL2411Z, 144hz, 1920x1080. I fiddled around with the settings and started playing CS:GO on a public server. Nothing went wrong for 1-2 hours. After that, i started playing Competitive once more and, yet again, after 20 minutes, i hear the same quiet buzz in my headphones, the monitor goes black, and there is a " NO SIGNAL " window in the bottom right corner.

I thought that maybe it was because of that new 340.52 driver ( which only optimizes on newer cards/adds to older cards nVidia SHIELD gameplay ), so i rolled back the driver, started again playing Competitive, then after 25-30 minutes same problem happens. Headphone buzz, " NO SIGNAL " on the screen.

Specs:

Motherboard: INTEL DZ68DB
Processor: INTEL Core i5-2500 3.30Ghz
8GB RAM DDR5
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1GB
Memory: 500GB HDD + 240GB SSD

I would very much appreciate if you found a sollution to this other than underclocking the GPU, because this problem exists on every series' GPU ( yes, even 700 series ).

First of all download GPU-Z and use it to check your GPU's temperature during gaming. Anything over 80C is cause for concern.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Open up your PC case and ensure the Graphics Card is sat firmly and securely in its PCIe slot (not at an angle) and that the PCIe Power Connector(s) are securely attached. Make sure the card's fans are spinning without obstructions while the system is on.

Ensure there is no dust or debris on the cable connectors and/or the monitor's/graphics card's receptors at either end.

786michael

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

It's not at an angle in the PCIe slot, Connectors are attached firmly, fan is spinning just right.

Temperature is ~60-70C while playing on 40-man servers. The problem only occurs when i play on that mode, which only allows for 10 players, including myself.

UPDATE: On StarCraft II, with everything on Ultra, 1080p, Anti-aliasing, it was running at a constant 80fps, with a GPU temperature of ~65C