[SOLVED] Monitor/GPU Question - DVI / HDMI / Display Port

Jun 12, 2020
I have a standard GEFORCE GTX 1660, with display port and HDMI input only.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-gtx-1660-6gb-gddr5

I have a Asus VA326N-W 31.5" Full HD 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor.

Iditiotically I purchased the DVI version by mistake, I currently use a DVI / HDMI adapter for it to work.

Problem is this, I can only get options of up to 60 hz on all my options. I can customise and get to 1280/800 120mhz but nowhere near the 144 mhz I would like.

Is there anyway around this without changing monitor or graphics card?

Solution
Edit: Update...

"No, for the same reason as in the above section. HDMI to Dual-Link DVI passive adapters/cables do not exist. HDMI only has 19 pins, like Single-Link DVI-D. Even though most HDMI to DVI adapters you see for sale are "Dual-Link", all of these are fake, they are only Single-Link DVI adapters in disguise.

These HDMI to Single-Link DVI passive adapters may work for 120+ Hz if used from a DVI output (computer/source) to an HDMI input (display) because it acts as an HDMI connection when used in this configuration, and HDMI 1.3+ can support 1080p 120 Hz as mentioned previously, but this does require the monitor to accept 120+ Hz over HDMI, so it will not work on monitors like the BenQ...

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Edit: Update...

"No, for the same reason as in the above section. HDMI to Dual-Link DVI passive adapters/cables do not exist. HDMI only has 19 pins, like Single-Link DVI-D. Even though most HDMI to DVI adapters you see for sale are "Dual-Link", all of these are fake, they are only Single-Link DVI adapters in disguise.

These HDMI to Single-Link DVI passive adapters may work for 120+ Hz if used from a DVI output (computer/source) to an HDMI input (display) because it acts as an HDMI connection when used in this configuration, and HDMI 1.3+ can support 1080p 120 Hz as mentioned previously, but this does require the monitor to accept 120+ Hz over HDMI, so it will not work on monitors like the BenQ XL2411Z or ASUS VG248QE, which are limited to 60 Hz on their HDMI ports. "

Its possible with a good quality "dongle." Look at this quote I found on this certain issue, I bolded your case. Do you have hdmi 1.3+? Also sometimes your monitor may actually limit hdmi to 60FPS at a certain resolution. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Solution