[SOLVED] Monitor/graphic card connection

Jun 25, 2021
I recently built my first computer and it boots up and works nicely. The one problem I have is that I want two monitors connected and can’t seem to figure it out.

I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 video card, which I have to use as my CPU doesn’t have integrated graphics.

The video card has two display ports. One HDMI and one DVI. And my dell monitor has several available ports. I bought a DisplayPort (which connects to monitor) to DVI cable (which connects to the graphics card). But all I get is a black screen.

Long story short it works perfectly with HDMI but not DVI. Did I buy the wrong cable? Is this a setting that needs to be adjusted in the Nvidia control panel? All drivers are up to date.

Solution
Dvi to DP is only single link. It'll still work on a dual link Dvi graphics card.

These two choices, 1080p 60Hz.

Dual link adapters only come into play going from DP graphics card to Dvi monitor. These wont work for your purpose, wrong direction.
Jun 25, 2021
Ok. Right click again on the desktop and this time, select NVidia Control Panel.
Expand the display tree and slick on "Set up multiple displays".
Do you see both of your displays listed?

If that option isn't there, then there is an issue with your graphics card output.

-Wolf sends
So the cable I bought should be ok?
Monitor = DisplayLink
Video card = DVI cable

Anything else you’d recommend to check? If not, i guess I’ll have to return it and buy a new one. The video card is new.

Jun 25, 2021
Yes. DVI to DisplayPort should work. They're both digital connections.
Anything in the NVidia Control Panel?

-Wolf sends
No, it only detected the HDMI monitor when I went to set up multiple displays. The second monitor is powered on but all I get is a message that says “no dp cable detected” then it goes to sleep. I know the monitor works for a fact.

To me it’s either a bad DisplayPort/DVI cable, bad video card, or there is some setting that needs to be changed. Most likely a faulty part. What sucks is both the video card and cables are brand new.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm what cable did you get?

Order does matter so the cable/ adapter needs to be Dvi to DP (not the other way) and active. Passive only works from DP to Dvi. Both connections are digital but Dvi to DP still needs to be converted which means the cable needs to be powered somehow either internally or via usb.

Jun 25, 2021
Hmm what cable did you get?

Order does matter so the cable/ adapter needs to be Dvi to DP (not the other way) and active. Passive only works from DP to Dvi. Both connections are digital but Dvi to DP still needs to be converted which means the cable needs to be powered somehow either internally or via usb.

Here is the link from Amazon. Would this work?

Jun 25, 2021
OK. what is the specific model number of the NVidia Geforce GT 1030 and what is the specific model number of the display you're attempting to connect it to?

-Wolf sends
Model number for the video card says - GV-N1030D4-2GL

The monitor is a dell P2419H. It’s my work monitor so I know it works as I use it daily.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Here is the link from Amazon. Would this work?

Na it's a Displayport to Dvi cable meant in this direction to Dvi monitor. Wish it was bi-directional but it's not that easy :)

See the guide i linked and input fields, Dvi to DP and see the cable recommendations there.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021
Na it's a Displayport to Dvi cable meant in this direction to Dvi monitor. Wish it was bi-directional but it's not that easy :)

See the guide i linked and input fields, Dvi to DP and see the cable recommendations there.
It would be nice if it was that easy! I did what you said and it looks like I can get two options. One is dual link and the other is single link. The port on my graphics card is dual link. Does that mean I have to go with the dual link cable? Or does this not matter?

Sorry still learning all the cable types and how they all work!

Jun 25, 2021
It would be nice if it was that easy! I did what you said and it looks like I can get two options. One is dual link and the other is single link. The port on my graphics card is dual link. Does that mean I have to go with the dual link cable? Or does this not matter?

Sorry still learning all the cable types and how they all work!
Edit: it doesn’t look like the link I sent will open with the selections I had.

But I put DVI in the output and DisplayPort in the input.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dvi to DP is only single link. It'll still work on a dual link Dvi graphics card.

These two choices, 1080p 60Hz.

Dual link adapters only come into play going from DP graphics card to Dvi monitor. These wont work for your purpose, wrong direction.

Solution