Question Monitor/Graphics card compatibility & potential upgrades

Jul 20, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a new monitor and I've read that in order to get the best results, the graphics card needs to be up to par to prevent screen tearing etc.

The monitor I am purchasing is -MSI Optix MAG271CQR Quad HD 27" Curved LED Gaming Monitor

I purchased a custom build PC in 2015. My knowledge is very limited so a friend helped me with the requirements. I am now wondering if the components I have should be upgraded. The games I play are Counter Strike GO and World of Warcraft. I'd like to be able to play on high/ultra high settings. WOW seems to lag a little when running ultra high in busy areas of the game but seems to be ok out in the less populated parts of the world.

My main components are as follows:-

CPU - Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard - ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
RAM - 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card - 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
Hard Disk 1 - 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Hard Disk 2 - 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply - CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling - Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

So I am basically looking for specific advice on the monitor and graphics card combo as well as recommendations for upgrades. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jul 20, 2019
For upgrades? I dont really have one in mind to be honest - it's more a case of identifying what (if anything) is behind the times. I guess I'll think about the financials once I know what I should be looking to upgrade if that makes sense

Jul 20, 2019
Could someone provide advice on the current graphics card and monitor comparability in the mean time? By this I mean do you foresee any issues with that combo mentioned?

The budget will really depend to be honest. I guess what I am therefore asking is - which (if any - hopefully not all..) should I focus my attention/funds on? i.e Graphics card is fine but the processor is poor etc.